Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, January 02, 2012

We took a walk

New Year's day, DH found that our favorite deli (Kornblatt's)was open so we drove over that a way for lunch.  As we passed the Jaguar dealership we saw that they have gone all holiday on us, putting antlers and a red nose on the leaping logo. Merry Christmas, ho, ho, ho!




We parked a ways from the deli and sauntered around in the dry, relatively warm day.  I strolled DH through a neighborhood where I used to live and bored him rather silly with tales of events that had occurred here and there.  Like the restaurant where I first found out that for some people, me included, drinking schnapps and eating pickled herring at the same time results in disastrously low blood pressure.  The only time I have ever passed out in a restaurant.

These doors belong to a middle eastern restaurant where we have been a couple of times, and each time, they have forgotten my order and left me without food.  Everyone else got served, and there I sat with nothing.  Once could have been an honest mistake.  Twice?  They don't need my business. But the doors are cool.




This neighborhood is upscaling considerably from the time I lived here.  There are a hundred little boutiques where once there were scruffy bars.  run down old houses have been converted to chichi salons, and the shoe repair shop with the resident cat that used to sleep in the window, is now a trendy coffee bar.  This used to be slums, but now it's where successful lawyers bring their husbands to dine. And yet, these bits and pieces of the old days still show up  here and there.

This is the front of an art studio. But I could swear that old guy lived behind the dumpster of the warehouse that used to be here.  You could tell when it was spring.  The bums would try to hit on you before they would spare-change you.  "Hey baby, ya wanna party?  You sure?  Well, could you spare a couple of dollars so I can go party?"  Back in those days, if I had a couple dollars to spare, I would go to the grocery store and treat myself to a box of Earl Grey tea.  Quiet parties.  My apartment had a south-facing bedroom and one Sunday morning when I treated myself to breakfast in bed, the sun broke through the clouds and filled the room like honey.  I just lay in bed sipping my tea and basking.

Yeah, doesn't take much to please me.  And it doesn't take much to amuse me, either.
Wish we had gotten closer.  This van is a rolling work of art.  "There's a lion above the fender./ You can offer legal tender, to help to make the van go/ so art in Portland can grow."  I love living in this city!

Oh, lunch at the deli was delicious!  I have fallen in love with their matzo-ball soup.  It tastes like comfort.

8 Comments:

  • At 6:01 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    You've described Portland perfectly :)

     
  • At 7:39 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Every once in a while, we drive through our childhood neighborhoods and remember what life was like. It feels good and odd at the same time.

    I'd stay away from restaurants that didn't bring my food, too. Our local middle eastern restaurant seemed to ignore us after we refused to allow them to pour rosewater on our hands before dinner. Maybe they thought we were unclean?

    Happy New Year. I hope your year is filled with new corners and new stories. (I spent ny's eve telling my niece about the Sanna books. She's the right age for them and I'm getting her copies)

     
  • At 10:16 PM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    Sounds like a lovely day. I'll take a bit of advice from you and never mix pickled herring with Schnapps. Not that I'd eat pickled herring anyway. :)

     
  • At 1:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I wonder if the lion van is owned by the same guy that used to have a car covered in plastic baby doll heads and spray painted (gold, I think.) It was so creepy that it was cool. Now I know where your muse lives and will visit the deli to see if she or the bums have any stories for me. You always have the most interesting pieces of life to share.

     
  • At 5:19 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Warm days aren't suppose to be having this time of year. Damn global climate change!!

    I enjoyed the walk around Portland and the memories.

     
  • At 6:21 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    Scott and I are making our plans to come a visit your fair city in 2015 to celebrate our 30th anniversary. We can hardly wait!

     
  • At 12:01 PM , Blogger mplanck said...

    Thanks for the musings, the memories, and the photographs. Your gift for description is in the realm of fine art. Alice

     
  • At 10:13 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Lovely memories-- and funny ones too:-)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home