Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, December 29, 2011

geese and other fowl

On Christmas day, as we were headed out to the movies, we passed a school playground with about two hundred Canada Geese all facing the same direction.  DH pointed it out to me and told me they were there to sing geesemas carols.  I suggested that they were the grounds maintenance crew there to fertilize the grass and get rid of the slugs.  This is a very new agey school, so of course they would use the greenest methods possible, and if anyone has seen goose poo, you know how green it is.  We decided that both explanations could be simultaneously correct.  They could sing geesemas carols while they were fertilizing.    Let's see, what carols would geese sing?  These, of course, would start with "Oh Canada."  Then perhaps, ""We free wings," "Here we come a waddling,"   Would "TheTwelve Day of Geesemas" include six geese a-laying?  (two purple slugs and partridge . ..)

The next day, as we were on our way to the store, we passed a house with an apple tree in the front yard.  We had a freeze a while ago, then several warm days, then a good stiff wind which blew down a number of apple.  There was a family of geese feasting on the fallen apples and acting erratically.  I mean, it's hard to tell if a goose is staggering. But they would stand with head held high, sort of making little circles with it as if trying to get things to come into focus.  And one goose was trying to intimidate  a parked pickup truck.  My friends in Oz tell me that parrots get drunk and hold loud, raucous parties, where they to sing dirty songs but no one can remember the words.  I can just envision a parrot, lying on its back at the side of the road, feet in the air, crooning, "Shweet vi-o-letchsshhh, shweeter than all th rozess . . " over and over and over.

Do geese and parrots have hangovers?

6 Comments:

  • At 9:30 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    Drunk geese? Well, why not. I've see drunk cows and horses on fermenting apples before and they are a hoot to watch.

     
  • At 12:27 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    LOL I am not sure I have seen any drunken birds...but have seen video of drunken bear and drunken squirrel on television. I bet there may be some of various drunken animals and birds on youtube!!

     
  • At 1:10 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Mama Mia once had a gerbil she used in a science experiment to see if it would choose vodka or water to drink. It choose vodka every time and passed out.

     
  • At 12:34 PM , Blogger mplanck said...

    Let's just hope they don't drink and fly. :-)

     
  • At 6:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Lordy Roxie, you haven't changed a bit! R3 would be proud!

     
  • At 10:17 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    I know that bluejays used to get drunk on acacia berries in the house I lived in when I was small!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home