Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, December 16, 2011

Another quilt finished

 So MJ and I got together and used up some scraps from another quilt. This process is like sourdough.  A little bit of starter from the previous batch  provides the ferment for the next one.  So we put together strips we had torn and kept adding to them until it was big enough.
We were out of batts, so we did triple layer and backed it with navy flannel ( A queen-size set of sheets - well worn and cozy but, since we now have a king bed, no further good to us.)  As you can see, we left the seams exposed on the back and clipped them to a frazzle.
It makes quite a nice quilt, actually.  I ran it through the washer after we clipped the seams then ran it through the dryer twice and enjoyed the results quite a lot, though I had to clean the dryer filter about three times and you could have stuffed a teddybear with the  fluff generated.

I've also been spinning and listening to "Outlander" by Diane Gabaldon.  Time travel and hot sex with highland laddies in Scotland.  Woo hoo!  Now I have enough silk and merino for a shawl, a long vest,  a small sweater,or who knows what.  There is also some lovely yellow wool to spin, and some splendid cranberry and pink, not to mention three mystery batts from Fantasy Fibers.  The mystery batts make wonderful hats.  I might think about that for my next projects, since it is definitely the hat-ly season.

Currently I'm knitting a cable cardigan for a young woman I know.  What's the stylish length for a cardigan now?  Should it hit hip-level?  Higher?  Lower?  How long do you like your cardigans to be?

9 Comments:

  • At 5:00 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    I can check with the fashion police aka MamaMia but I'd say that if you are making cables that a longer hip length sweater is in style. Or you could make a bolero style with cables...

    Now my fingers are itching to do some spinning...but when to find the time?

     
  • At 6:02 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Another lovely quilt. I still cherish the one you made for me ...

    The cardigans seem to be either cropped or longer right now.

     
  • At 6:03 PM , Blogger sophanne said...

    I prefer my cardigans to cover the belly which means they're practically at my hips!

     
  • At 6:03 PM , Blogger sophanne said...

    And I love that quilt

     
  • At 9:17 PM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    The 7th Earl of Cardigan
    Major General James Thomas Brudenell, 7th Earl of Cardigan, was a British officer serving in the Crimea (modern-day Ukraine) in 1854, when the United Kingdom and Russia were battling over the territory of the declining Ottoman Empire. He was ordered to lead a doomed cavalry assault across a valley against a Russian cannon emplacement on high ground. The resultant casualty count was eulogized by Alfred, Lord Tennyson in his poem "The Charge of the Light Brigade." After the battle, the earl returned to his yacht and had dinner.
    Throughout the Crimean campaign, Brudenell and his officers wore a type of "sweater coat" that is now known as the "cardigan." The earl's cardigans were trimmed with fur and braids.

    http://www.ehow.com/about_5097613_history-cardigan-sweater.html#ixzz1glYe9xiV

     
  • At 1:38 AM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I remember you working on it at Chrysalis! Cute!!

     
  • At 3:52 AM , Blogger Janette said...

    Wow Roxanna - the quilt is fabulous!
    You two are so talented.

     
  • At 5:51 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    I like my sweaters longer.

     
  • At 1:48 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    I like mine long too... And I love those felted quilts... they're so warm...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home