Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, November 25, 2011

Never too old

For the very first time in my life, I made a Black Friday shopping strike.  Joanne's had quilting fabric on sale for $1.79 a yard, and I had a doorbuster coupon that gave me an extra 25% off if I came in before noon.  The store opened at 6, and I know what the lines would be like, so I left DH asleep and was at the store just as they opened the doors.  It took me ten minutes to grab my fabrics.  It took me a further hour and five minutes to stand in line till I got the fabric cut and paid for.  Swear to Dog, some people got NO sense!  There was a woman who was buying entire bolts of fabric and making the clerks measure out 3 yard pieces and cut and fold them for her.  She is incapable of cutting her fabric at home?  She is incapable of folding the sections while she's standing and waiting?  I mean  - jeeze - there are other people in the world.  And she kept running off and grabbing more bolts of fabric while the line kept growing behind her.  But, on the plus side, as I was standing there with my several bolts of fabric, the nice young lady in front of me said, "Would you like to share my cart?"  This store has about fifteen shopping carts, and the sixteenth person in line at the door didn't get one.  I was about thirtieth.  The young lady has great good karma now.  She was kind and generous.  ANd SO shy.  I tried to talk with her, but it just made her uncomfortable, so I relented and talked with the woman behind me.  As I got up to the cutting table, I realized that I had forgotten to get batting, but I couldn't have carried it anyhow, so I shrugged and proceeded to fold as the nice clerk cut, and if it looked like I was close to the end of the bolt, I just asked for the bolt end so she wouldn't have to take the time to cut.  When does a little more fabric ever go to waste?  And fat quarters were a dollar off.  I went mad.  I felt so sorry for the clerks that I bought Lindor Balls and gave them to the lady who cut for me, and to the lady who checked me out.

Then DH and I went to breakfast.  Then we hit the grocery store, went home and unloaded, then went out in search of the wiley Christmas tree.  For the past week it has been raining fit to drown the frogs - an inch a day with wind pushing it flat sideways.  But today was clear and dry!  You couldn't have picked a nicer day if you had looked for it in the catalogue.  The folks at the tree farm were organized and just delighted to have us there.  We knew what we wanted, found it right away, cut it and carried it overt the shaker and baler, and were on our way home within 20 minutes.  It was fabulous!

So DH set up the tree while I pulled the ornaments out of the attic.  Then he stamped the Christmas cards and took them to the post office while I dressed the tree.  We had turkey hash for dinner and a glass of wine apiece.  Life is so darn good!!

11 Comments:

  • At 7:09 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Wow, you were super productive. I am in awe.

     
  • At 8:11 PM , Blogger sophanne said...

    Our local Joanne's is like that on snowy Thursday's in the middle of February. That company loses money in the help that they fail to hire. You are a finer shopper than me. Have a mentioned lately that I love to read your words? "fit to drown frogs." You are great.

     
  • At 11:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    HOkey, Somkes. Since you're all caught up, come on over and crawl around my attic for decorations. One of my neighbors has put up their lights already. I just groaned. It was an unbelievably day. I called a meeting of all the leaves in my yard.

     
  • At 5:02 AM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    How brave of you to go to a store on black Friday.
    I went for a hike in the park. Nobody was there, they were all shopping. Life really is good isn't it.

     
  • At 5:19 AM , Blogger Heide said...

    Wow! You accomplished more in a day than I will in an entire week of holiday preparation. Turkey hash sounds divine... however, my mother became ill and we had to leave early the next morning (no beach walk)and our lovely bag of leftovers was left behind. Can't wait to see pictures of your tree (blatant request).

     
  • At 10:10 AM , Blogger mplanck said...

    I can't believe it. After getting up for a big Black Friday sale, you still have the energy and drive to get a Christmas tree. You're way out of my league. I can only sit back and admire. Alice

     
  • At 1:57 PM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    That sounds like a very good day :)

    I didn't leave the house at all yesterday, but today I'm starting to feel some holiday spirit and a need to figure out where that silly tree stand went.

     
  • At 8:50 PM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    Black Friday makes me want to crawl in the back of a closet until it goes away. As for the dry day, it's true, it was nice out. But the leaves were still soaked and heavy from all that rain.

     
  • At 6:52 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    I'm like you. I fold while the clerk cuts, and I'm willing to buy the remainder of a bolt if it's cose anyway. Like you said, it'll not go to waste.

    Good for you on the chocolate - I'm sure they could use the energy boost.

     
  • At 5:38 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    I did make it to the yarn store on Black Friday. That's as far as I was willing to go.

     
  • At 4:20 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    I miss the Black Friday days... but I like shopping with Mate more now.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home