Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, September 10, 2011

tea in the pavillion


I was too busy enjoying myself to get many photos, but I did snap one shot of the spread before we dug in.  In the center, surrounding a small vase of flowers, is angelfood cake.  To the left, reading top to bottom is lemon merengues, gingersnaps, brownies with peanut butter chips, and honeydew balls with mint.  To the right is a stack of bacon, lettuce, tomatoe, and avocado sandwiches.  And to the right of theem is a plate of caramel/apple cookies that LG brought.  We were a small group - only 9, which meant we were able to get a group discussion going.  (any more than that, and we tend to break into smaller, more intimate chatteries.)  And toward the end of the time, we began sharing our experiences of being "visited" by people who have died.  I was surprised by how many people had dreamed of a loved one shortly after that person's death, and been comforted by the dream. which leads me to wonder - what are ghosts? 

There was a cat I loved - his name was Blue , and he loved me with complete, unstinting devotion.  He was with me during some of my hardest times, and when I finally had to have him put to sleep, I grieved  so sorely.  Then one night I dreamed that I saw him in the window where he loved to sleep.  He opened his eyes and looked at me with perfect blissful contentment.  I knew he forgave my failures and understood why I had to help him die, and he still loved me with absolute cat love.

Blue cat will help me die when the time comes.  I won't transition alone. 

Do you have ghosts?

12 Comments:

  • At 2:54 PM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    Wow, that food sounds awesome. I shoulda come. :) I've had dreams about my cats who have died, and I felt comforted by them. I'm glad to hear others have had the same experience.

     
  • At 3:43 PM , Blogger sophanne said...

    no ghosts recently but I know they are there.


    I wish I lived closer.

     
  • At 6:49 PM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    I love the word chatteries, I shall use it when next the occasion arises. I've lived in many houses and it seems some of them have ghosts and others don't. So I think it's possible that locality has something to do with them.

     
  • At 9:07 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    The pavillion tea is stunningly beautiful!

    I know there are ghosts, but I talk to them more than they talk to me. In the months that followed my in-laws deaths my two oldest daughters (aged 1 and 3) saw them often. Amber (the three year old) calmly told me one day that "Grandma is standing in the closet" when I was tying her shoes to go outside. Autumn refused to sleep without the closet light on for the 8 years that we lived in that house. I often speak to my own grandmothers, but I can only imagine their advice. Our cats will be part of the family waiting for us. We love them, how could they not be.

     
  • At 7:43 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Alas, no. You'd think I would, but I think the people in my head are all talking too loudly. Scares off the nice ghosts.

     
  • At 10:22 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    Both Scott and I have been visited by those who recently passed on - including our cat, Neil. The best one to tell about though was shorty after Scott's grandfather died. Scott was in his studio at the drafting table drawing on something when he felt someone there. He looked up and his grandfather was standing behind his left shoulder watching Scott draw. When Scott looked up at him, he grandfather smiled at him, then disappeared. Scott's grandfather always did love watching Scott draw.

     
  • At 4:40 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Strangely enough, the only time I am sure I saw a spirit was my cat Kubla. She was my baby (way before I had kids) and I loved her with all my heart. She loved me as much as a cat can love anyone. Well, she lived to be 20 and had a tumor and we were getting ready to make the hard decision when she ran out under the wheels of the car while I was driving. I was devastated and held her while they put her to sleep.

    Two days later I know I saw her. She stood and looked at me and I felt forgiven. I haven't seen her since but I miss her every day.


    and btw, the pavilion looks so beautiful with the food and patch of sunlight coming in.

     
  • At 5:51 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    No ghosts here, I have three guardians who keep watch over me.

     
  • At 9:04 AM , Blogger mplanck said...

    Oh Roxie, what a beautiful post. The menu and photo are delicious, but your thoughts about our pets and other ghosts are truly riveting. I often think I see the images of loved ones who have passed on, and have had experiences and dreams that seem to underline the fact that they are not "gone," just "away." I fully anticipate being reunited with all my beloved pets and people. Thanks for a great blog. Alice

     
  • At 1:22 PM , Anonymous LindaG said...

    Many months after my mom died, I dreamt that I awoke and she was sitting on the foot of my bed smiling at me, and wearing a bright cherry-red knitted vest over her blouse, so tidily dressed as usual. "But Mom, you're dead!" I said in the dream; shortly thereafter, I woke up, but I remember that in the dream she had left me a little envelope that had tickets in it. I think that was her way of letting me know she was with me in my journey, and even helping to facilitate it. Sweet moment.

     
  • At 11:18 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    Beautiful table and goodies as always. Sounds like another great time together.

    I had one particularly vivid dream after my mother died in which she sat by my bed and told me she was ok. From years of working hospice, I've heard lots of those reports.

     
  • At 4:28 AM , Blogger grins said...

    How odd. I just read your entry. It kind of parallels what I just wrote about. It on my twilitefone blog. You said you wanted more so I was encouraged and rewrote some of it into a couple of chapters to maybe write a book. DH? You must be a flylady fan. Jo gets about twenty emails a day from them. Dont have to approve this entry.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home