Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Q is for

Que passa?

This is me all hooked up in the home test for sleep apnea equipment.  There is a cannula snuggled into my nose to monitor my breathing.  It must be taped into place and connected to the monitor on my chest.  There is an oxygen monitor on my index finger.  That, too is taped into place and attached to the chest device.  The strap around my chest monitors my chest movements.  More cords and plugs.  There is also a strap around the abdomen to monitor movement there.  Then,  you go to bed, knowing that your breathing is being monitored four ways from Sunday, and try to breathe normally and fall asleep.  Right.  I was still mostly awake an hour later when DH came to bed.  He looked down at me in the midst of my tapes and wires, smiled, and carefully kissed me on the lips.  I do so love that man!

Finally I started telling myself stories, and nodded off.  The monitor tells me it is happy with the results, so I can take it back to the lab today.

While the nice young men were teaching me how to hook things up, they got it all fitted and adjusted and then asked me, "Are  you comfortable with this?"  I replied, "Resistance is futile.  You will be absorbed into the Borg collective." Luckily, they got it and laughed.

The test was painless and only slightly inconvenient.  And I didn't need to buy classy new jammies.  Now to see what results we got.

10 Comments:

  • At 9:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It's quite a contraption to have to put on and wear but if it helps then so be it!

     
  • At 9:08 AM , Anonymous tlbwest said...

    A new Queen for the Borg...

    I'm back with "Quiana" from M day. Back in the late 1960/early 1970s I remember Quiana as a fiber that showed up in blouses. I had a couple that were a lightweight knit fabric, draped very nicely, weren't clammy or static. Then it seems we went back to nasty polyesters. I'm not a synthetic fiber fan in general, but that was a nice fabric.

    And "qiviut" - according to the Marianne Moore poem there is no u after the q. I haven't checked that elsewhere but it does open up Scrabble possilities, doesn't it?

     
  • At 10:45 AM , Blogger LA said...

    I did have a flashback to the Borgs, but if it works, and tells you what you need to know, it will be worth it!!!! I've got my fingers crossed for you!

     
  • At 4:43 PM , Blogger Orice said...

    I know someone whose life was dramatically changed (for the better) after he found out he had sleep apnea. The equipment really helped him. Happy Health to you, no matter which way the diagnosis goes.

     
  • At 5:53 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Pk had to do the test at a sleep center. He said it wasn't as difficult to fall asleep as he thought it would be.

    I think you'll be surprised to see the results of how many times you stop breathing at night. It's a scary report.

    And just think, you can look forward to wearing the Darth Vader mask....

     
  • At 6:36 PM , Anonymous Pat Lichen said...

    Wow, what will they think of next? I should probably do this too... I'm curious to hear what your results are.

     
  • At 8:22 PM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    Well, that's one heck of a get-up. Good thing the cats didn't get tangles up in it.

     
  • At 9:54 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    It's Robo-Roxie! Hope they find out some good information.

     
  • At 6:08 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    You got to do the test at home?! Grilltech had to spend the night taped up and *watched*.

     
  • At 11:07 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    LOL-- ten points for the Star Trek reference, the rest is for style!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home