Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The reality of publishing

Heide, thanks so much for your comment.  Bless your dear heart!  Actually, Random House Press was  interested in Sanna, but they wanted me to re-write it to make it more,"edgy" and "darker."  It wasn't sufficiently violent and depressing.  If I had killed off Sanna's parents in the first chapter, and kept her terrified and despairing, I might have gotten to print.  Since that isn't the kind of world Iwant to live in, that isn't the kind of world I wanted to create. So I self-published.  And since I suck at marketing, you won't find me on the news-stands in every American airport.  Oh well.  Maybe I can be famous when I die.  (grin)

On the other hand, e-books is looking quite promising.  People can make an end-run around the big publishing houses.  If I make Sanna available as  e-books for a mere $1.99, I will still make a profit, and a lot more people will be able to enjoy her adventures.  I have to check out my contracts with Author House (the press that I went through to self-publish) and see if they have e-books rights.  If not, friends are putting together an e-press right in the neighborhood.  Yayyy!!!

Mr. Tim, do you know if Jan York is available to do another cover?

I'm about to have a big unpacking party in my head.  I don't know what's valuable and what isn't, and I'll be at this for wayyy too long if i don't get some help.  The kitties are chasing vermins out, there's settees and sofas to settle into, and DH will bring in sandwiches, coffee and tea.  There are boxes of cookbooks and bodice-rippers, costume jewelry, old photos, old clothes and God knnows what else.  I found an ivory cigarette box that had scarlet nail polish spilled on it.  Can it be cleaned?  Or would someone like to take it and carve it into wonderful new things?  Clothes were stuffed away without being cleaned first, and the armpits have rotted out, but the fabric is silk and fine wool.  Anyone want to help me sort for the quilt bag?

Bang!  A revelation.  Mom had lovely, nice things (like me) that she just didn't know how to take care of.  She wasn't destructive,or even indifferent, just ignorant.  Ok, that helps a lot.

Thanks with your patience as I tease out these symbols and artefacts.  It helps to write it down, and if I have an audience, I'm a lot more likely to be faithful with the work.

In the meantime, do you see that yellow stuff?  It's sunshine!  It's sunshine at 4:18 in the evening!  In December, it's pitch black by this time.  Summer really IS coming!!

6 Comments:

  • At 5:57 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Bring that stuff in the dark recessess out into the light and let's see what kind of treasures are hiding. I'd be fascinated to see what you've got going on.

    I've never understood why your books weren't picked up by one of the publisher of young adult fiction. They're so intelligently written (no condecension here) and full of fun and adventure and courage and magic. Oh and the promise of love. What else do you need? I am passing them on to my niece. I think she'll love them. I did.

     
  • At 9:02 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    There are treasures a plenty to bring in to the light. Are there any tea cups in your room?

     
  • At 9:44 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    Fv@k RH! They should be thrilled to have a book that has a plot not reliant on gore and sex to hold the readers' interests. Especially if they ever want to make a movie, etc. with the book. Sorry for the rant.

    going off now to grumble to myself about general silliness.

     
  • At 5:22 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Ouch, nail polish on ivory. Might want to try a piano repair place about tips to clean it.

     
  • At 11:06 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    I find my room is more like my yarn collection... sometimes stuff just needs to be pulled out and mulled over... maybe your room is the same way...

    And we saw some sun today as well... it was lovely. If Author-House does not offer your book as an e-book, they do NOT have e-book rights-which means that with a little bit of formatting, you can put your book on the Kindle at NO cost to yourself, and what ever price you want to pass on to other people. It's a thought.

     
  • At 6:21 PM , Blogger Denise said...

    Best wishes with the unpacking, decluttering, and sorting out ... never easy work.

    The e-book path could be good for you, I have a recommendation for a guy in the States who can convert your book to the right formats for a reasonable price, email me if you'd like his details :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home