Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, November 01, 2010

Oh the shame!

We give out full-size candy bars. The little kids like Starbursts and Skittles, the older kids go for chocolate. We bought 60 candy bars as usual, (and always before I was giving candy bars to the parents by the end of the night and still had leftovers. ) But the folks next door set up a big display with multiple gravestones, a fog machine, scarey music, and a person on the front porch dressed as a witch who would reach out and scare the pee out of people. All we had was a lighted porch and two carved pumpkins. Big whoop. At first, the little kids would trot right past our house to get to the big show, and I figured we would be stuck with a lotta leftovers. But as it got darker, our visitors increased. Because, we always give out full-sized candybars after all, and folks remember. It got to be 8 PM and we were down to a package of M&Ms, and two Snickers bars. The doorbell rang. It was a troop of teens! We had to rush around and rustle up some fruit snacks to give treats to everyone. The kids were so sweet and polite about it."Fruit snacks are good!" one lad assured me as I apologized for running out of candy.


Of course, we then had to blow out the jack-o-lanterns and turn off the porch light. At 8 PM! Oh, the shame!

But next year, by gosh, we're going to be better prepared! More Skittles. More Starbursts. Maybe some red licorice. And lots more chocolate!

3 Comments:

  • At 7:05 AM , Blogger Heide said...

    Wow! Full-sized candy bars are hard to come by on Halloween, so your visitors scored. We don't know how many kids did or didn't come to our house this year. We just left a bowl outside and then we took our kids to a really cool neighborhood. When we came back the bowl was empty.

     
  • At 1:20 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I had the opposite problem--I bought 4 lbs of candy and only gave out about 1.5 lbs! We hardly had any trick or treaters and none after 8:45 pm!
    Good thing I work at a college and can give candy out here! Students love that!

     
  • At 11:02 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Weren't the teenagers awesome? And yeah-- you guys are the AWESOME people... I would remember you too!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home