Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, September 04, 2010

On the way to the fair we stopped at the outlet mall - one of the most visited tourist attractions in the state. I kid you not. We needed new watering jugs for the kitties. But they do put on nice display for the tourists. Check out what can be done with a gazillion baskets of trailing petunias.







More trailing petunias were used throughout the parking lot to make these topiary-like trees. And you gotta know those are a bear to water every day.










so on to the fair. And we got to check out what the well-dressed sheep will wear. Blue cammo is a stylish take on the popular military chic.



Very nice.








A more dignified, ladylike look is this long-sleeved jumpsuit in a dreamy shade of blue. Very nice.











A kicky look for the younger ewe is this disco-retro flash-dance torn-t-shirt effect.
Very nice.












Of course everyone loves polka dots, and this lambykin shows them to their best advantage.


Very nice.








Not to forget the kids, isn't this baby goat the cutest one you've seen today? The little pink dress is so girly-girly, and ruffles are so popular this year. Very nice.









Of course we had to check out the latest cute chicks. You'll notice domestic chickens and a pheasant chick. They're starring ina re-make of the movie - "Poultrygeist - Night of the Chicken Dead."








Really, I more fun than should be legal. And we didn't even go to the dinosaur exhibit. The quilts were, as always, stunning. The poems didn't have any ribbons showing so I don't know if they haven't been judged yet, or if they're not going to be judged. The knitting was knock-your-socks-off gorgeous, and the spinning was so far beyond my abilities that it's almost a different art form. They asked us not to photograph for some reason. I guess some of the art was copyrighted or something.
We did, however, get to the two vendors with real oysters guaranteed to contain a pearl. The first one I stopped at, I bought three oysters, and for each one went through my usual routine of tapping three times on the shell and bellowing "Aloha!" at the top of my lungs. All the noise, of course, attracted crowds of people. I tapped and bellowed and they opened the first oyster. It had two pearls in it. Squeee! I tapped and bellowed again. The second oyster also had two pearls. Wah-hoo! Tap and bellow, and yet another set of twins. Hubub and bustle all around us. As we walked away with our six 6mm pearls, I heard someone else bellow "Aloha!" Hey - it worked for that tall lady.
So we got to the second booth and repeated the procedure for two pearls. This time, I didn't get twins. this time I got a big (8.5mm) pale pink pearl the first time, and a slightly smaller (8mm) mauve pearl. Ooo, ooo! SO pretty! It must be time to get out the drill and re-string my neckalce. I do love me my pearls!
I took Heide's advice and got both a smoked turkey leg, AND a mango smoothie. I ate only half the turkey, but took the rest home. and finished it off for dinner. It was such fun walking around the fair witha monster turkey leg in my fist, gnawing and tearing at it like a happy savage. It was SOME yummy!
DH and I both got smoothies as we were leaving. We were so hot and thirsty that we polished them off before we got to the car. And as soon as we got home, we each hammered down glass after glass of water. It was a GOOD day!















5 Comments:

  • At 10:28 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    Sounds like you are very lucky with the pearls!! I have a loose one that is yello and I should donate it for your future strand!!

     
  • At 4:51 PM , Blogger Alwen said...

    I love the petunia tree!

    The drawbridge in town has begonia baskets on it. I always wondered how they kept those from drying out, and I found out they use that water-loving gel stuff (various brand names, Water Crystals Gel or Hydrogel) in the potting mix.

     
  • At 5:17 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    I've never seen a pearl booth before, but they sound like lots of fun!

    Glad you went for the turkey leg and the smoothie.

    How long before you're notified of your Blue Ribbons for poetry?

    I wonder if the sheep get hot wearing the coats.

     
  • At 10:31 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    The trees are gorgeous, the goats and sheep are my favorites, and I LOVE that you started an oyster calling ritual!

     
  • At 10:34 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    I don't know which part of the story I like best, you getting all those pearls, or others following your lead and bellowing out "Aloha!" before opening their oysters. Heh!!

    I love the sheep wear this year - our fair had lots of different ones, too, but the spookiest were the KKK outfits - complete with head-covering hood.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home