Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, May 31, 2010

when am I?

Saturday DH and I were out shopping and we passed the big Asian supermarket. "I'd like to go through that place sometime," I remarked. He turned the car around and said, "Why not now?"

It was fascinating! Whole roast ducks hanging in the butcher shop, heads and feet and all. Whole cooked carp. Pints of pig's blood. And the vegetables! Bins of wrinkled, warty mottled things. Piles of long, smooth white things. stacks of sundry leafy greens. Tanks full of live tilapia and lobsters and oysters. Aisles of freezer cases, and more aisles of canned goods. If I ever need a pretty tin of fancy tea cookies, this is where I'll come. And I might pick up a box of mochi balls (sweet rice paste with various fillings) just to give it a try. By then, we had been wandering for more than an hour, and my head was full. We didn't even check out the non-food aisles. Oh, and how can I forget the bakery? Trays of cookies higher than my head, flavored with mango and lychee and ginger and green tea and . . . I was dizzy by that time.

On the way out, we passed a shop selling marble statues, between three and four feet tall. Chinese lions and dragons, rearing horses, and many versions of the holy family (Mary Joseph and baby Jesus.) I had to go back and double check - yes, every one of them had asian features. Joseph with the traditional full thick beard and almond eyes. I liked it!

DH, being the dear man that he is, had gone on line and checked out the nutritional analysis for the TacoBell Fresco meals, and took me out for a Mexican treat for lunch. One Beef Fresco crisp taco has only 139 calories (or something like that) so I tried one. It has so few calories because it's so darn small. Lots of chopped tomato and lettuce, a fried taco shell, and about a tablespoon of seasoned beef-like substance. And, when I looked it up on the Weight Watcher's site, it turns out to have 6 points. DH and I agreed that it would take about three of them to feel like a meal. I get only 23 points a day. Soooo, I'm not gonna blow 18 of those points on crispy taco shells, no matter how well marketed. Still better off with a Burger King Whopper Junior without mayo. Only 6 points, and you feel as if you've eaten something.

Grocery shopping on Saturday was a madhouse. Was it where you live, too? Why should having one more day off work make shopping for food SO much more confusing? People leave their carts crossways across the aisle and wander away, blocking everyone else's path. And women who leave their purse in the cart, wide opeen with the wallet sitting like a plum to be picked . . . It drives me nuts! And of course, at any given time, somewhere in the store, some child is having a melt-down. Those steam-whistle shrieks go right through my head. The bored, resigned husbands tagging along because they have the money and want to see how it's spent, and the newly retired husbands who want to examine every item on the shelves . . . Oh my I was glad to get home!

I submitted my first article for Write on Demand Studios. Finger crossed. "How to Crochet Different Hats" And I proposed a topic for "How to set a pretty table with mis-matched china" that I am working on now.

Sunday, quite unlike myself, I slept in till 8 AM. That's three hours of extra sleep! I must have needed it. It was just a lazy day. I frogged the decreases of the cable cozy I'm working, and started over. I can not seem to count to five.

And it rained. Low 60s and intermittant showers all day. We have the same weather as Sydney Australia and it's autumn for them. Our high was lower than the low for Boston. All you folks in the midwest, enjoy that sunshine for us!

9 Comments:

  • At 8:13 AM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    Congrats on submitting your first story. I'm all signed up (actually waiting for my bio to be approved. They asked me for a photo three months ago and I just got around to posting it). I have to say I'm a little intimidated by the idea of writing for them. I'm afraid I'll commit to something I can't deliver by clicking on a story. :)

     
  • At 9:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Did you go to H Mart? I went once, but the lack of English was a bit overwhelming to me. You gotta love a DH who's up for adventure! (and mochi balls are GREAT)

    YES, I hate the supermarket on holiday weekends. Or anytime when it's too busy, but especially when there's a holiday of some kind. People are so oblivious to others...

     
  • At 11:33 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    We go to the farmers market every Saturday. This week it seemed to be much more crowded than usual...maybe people are buying food for holiday parties.

     
  • At 1:53 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew. Everything is grown in one foot sqaure grids.

     
  • At 1:58 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Oh! Yes! Lulu Lamb is here! She arrived in a storm of busyness the last three days of my work time. She's also been a little under the weather--maybe jet lag. I've givien her some carrot top tonic and she's feeling a little better now.

     
  • At 3:13 PM , Blogger Bobbie Wallace said...

    Do try mochi sometime; if you want a real splurge, try Mochi ice cream - little scoops of ice cream (size of a small plum?) covered in sweet bean paste. Delish, and good portion control, too. ;)

    It's hard for me to go to our big Asian store; I love hum bow (steamed buns filled w/ bbq pork) and can's seem to get out of the book section without a Japanese knitting book (which I can't reac, but someday will figure out). And a little tray of sushi for lunch!

     
  • At 9:13 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    I'm sure that your story will be picked up and heaven knows that you're a genius when it comes to table setting. The market sounds like fun... it also sounds like someplace that I'd not bring my kids to. They'd be eating stuff off out of the bins and wanting to play with the statuary. Why in the world are you on Weight Watchers? You're tall and elegant... by no means someone who should be worried about points and other such nonsense. Eat what makes you happy and if you feel bad then take a walk. Being a morning person too I can honestly say that these past three mornings have been delightful. The rest of my family slept in while I woke up at the regular time and enjoyed hours of quiet solitude. Hopefully the weather has turned for us here. Cheers!

     
  • At 10:05 PM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    I love going to the asian markets! There is a huge thai market near us, and they have a giant backroom full of dusty statues with alley cats sleeping on them. Strange, but fun.

     
  • At 11:06 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Congrats on the story, baby! And yeah... when I was rocking the w/w I was doing it on five point McDonald's hamburgers. (Love the story of the Asian nativity... awesome:-)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home