Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, May 28, 2010

After the arborists

Brace yourselves. This is going to be rather shocking. We had the apple tree and the pear tree given an orchard cut.


Apple tee before cut.






pear tree (on the left) before cut



apple tree now. The arborist assures me that it will come back just fine. And in the meantime, our black-spotted roses will get some sunshine. We might even try planting vegetables in the backyard garden.




Pear tree post-trim. It's now as tall as the apple tree. No more ripe pears dropping into the neighbor's yard.

It was fascinating watching the process. The guys used ropes and engineering to stabilize the limbs as they were cut. A long limb leaning out over the yard was secured to another limb so that, when it was cut half way through, it didn't crack and split under its own weight. and the butt didn't lurch up and hit the guy with the saw. It was then lowered safely to the ground, sliced into managable bits, and dragged away by the eye-candy (who was evidently a trainee - because the boss was teaching him about the knots used to secure and release the limbs, and showing him how the chipper worked. And he never got to use the power tools.)
Limbs pointing straight up were brought down in sections from the top down. These guys knew what they were doing, took the time to discuss rigging each limb, always used their face shields, and left the yard spic and span. If you want it done right, get a professional to do it.
Meanwhile, I went out to lunch with LG. What a treat! Then I walked her back to her building because the Button Emporium is there. Time flew. I bought only 6 buttons of the hundreds I coveted. (Vintage enameled blue lizards about an inch long for $25 each. WANT! Porcelain circles with hand-painted carp - I couldn't find a price, but was pretty sure that if you have to ask, you can't afford it.)


I settled on these to adorn the tops of the tea cozies. Only $1.50 each, and won't they make charming little lifters when sewn onto the pointy tops?






5 Comments:

  • At 9:15 AM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    Wow. That's going to let a little more light into your kitchen. Are you going to train the trees for bearing fruit, or were you just trying to get rid of some height?

     
  • At 9:28 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    I was wondering if you were going to put anything on the tops of the cozies.

    Wow! What a difference in the look of those trees.

     
  • At 8:11 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    There can never be too much light inside the kitchen! That'll be a great help especially in the winter.

    Cute, cute buttons!

     
  • At 8:23 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Wow. That is a dramatic difference-- but isn't it wonderful that there is a science and a skill to it all? I bet those guys enjoy that job, I really do!

     
  • At 4:23 PM , Blogger Bobbie Wallace said...

    Oh, I'm jealous that you got to eyeball all that beefcake; lol! Did you offer the little boy some candy; or was he told not to talk to strange ladies, er, strangers? ;)

    Love the Button Emporium! I always come out of there with what I went in to buy, and then some. Funny, same thing happens when I go in a yarn store. Or a fabric store. Or a yard sale. Never happens at Winco, Office Max, or Lowes, though. Hmmmm . . . .

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home