Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Sunday, May 16, 2010

I love uninteresting times

DH and I had our usual Saturday breakfast at our usual favorite spot. They bring our coffee and tea without even asking when we sit down. Then we went grocery shopping and after we got the groceries put away, we took some tomato plants to a retired friend and planted them in a box on the sunny south side of his modular home. He loves those fresh tomatoes and enjoys puttering with the plants.


On the way home we stopped at a couple of estate sales. I do not need another teapot. I couldn't resist. It's good solid porcelain and too charming for words. And only $8.


Is this not too adorable?



There was also a pretty plate for only a dollar. And of course, everything always looks better with a kitty.





Home again, home again, jiggety jog. I did some spinning, DH killed video monsters till it was time to go to the awards banquet for his job. DH works closely with a guy who has been working for the same company for 35 years, and was getting his 35 year pin. So up we dressed and off we went.


The freeway was backed up, so they delayed serving dinner, so the show started late. People get cash awards for ten years of service and for every subsequent five years. Not everyone comes to the banquet, so that speeded things up a bit. You can tell the ebb and flow of the company by the survival rate. There were 16 people who had been with the company for 25 years. For 30 years, there were 161 names to call. That means that they had enough seniority during the mid seventies to survive the layoffs. Of that 161, only 32 came to the banquet, to walk forward, accept their bonus check, and get a group photo for the company newsletter. (The company mailed the checks to everyone else.) Ten people had made it for 35 years. The woman presenting their awards had a brief resume to share for each of them. And the night got later and later. Finally, awards for people who had been with the company for fourty years. Two of the 5 guys showed, received their checks, and were applauded. (Fourty years in the same job. The mind boggles) And at last, after the drawing for the door prizes (one winning ticket was 188930. We had 188903.) we were finally released. It was well past 10 PM. I'd been awake since 5 and usually hit sheet street by 8. But it was worth it!


I have started a new tea cozy for my new teapot. Just a nice dusty pink thing in a simple stranded pattern. It's been a long time since I've done stranded color work. My fingers have lost the tension mojo. This will be a nice, warm cozy, but it's gonna need major blocking. Knitting one strand continental, and one strand American really shows off the tension variations I've developed. (American is tighter for me. Continental is much more relaxed.)

8 Comments:

  • At 10:40 AM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    Oh, that kitty teapot is so cute!

     
  • At 12:46 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Ah yes. With reference to the Chinese curse, "May you live in interesting times!"

    It's amazing to me that people have worked for the same company for that many years, especially in these interesting times.

    Will DH be up for awards soon? (other than nice guy award)

     
  • At 3:12 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    The kitty teapot is adorable!!
    Love it!

     
  • At 7:00 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Congrats to DH for his 35 years!!

     
  • At 11:54 AM , Blogger Lucia said...

    Uninteresting times are the best. (Don't I know it.)

     
  • At 4:43 PM , Blogger Bobbie Wallace said...

    First, congrats to DH! That is quite an accomplishment!

    And I'd have snapped up that teapot, too! I love whimical ones; I have a whole line of teapot that look like cottages and houses that I should display somewhere. Maybe I can talk ToolMan into a high shelf around the dining room!

     
  • At 10:00 AM , Blogger Alwen said...

    I don't need another teapot,either, but that one is temptingly cute. And the plate, squee! I love that plate.

     
  • At 5:19 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Lucky you with the stranded colorwork! My latest endeavor simply shows that I don't know how to follow a color chart, and I'm too lazy to rip things out! Sounds like an enjoyable (if late!) repast:-)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home