Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, May 14, 2010

frolicking in the spring

We have sunshine.

I wish I could write that in fancy script with flowers, butterflies and hearts floating around it. I wish I could write it in fragrances, with birdsong and and the sweet whisper of leaves in the breeze. I wish I could illustrate it with smiling girls in pretty dresses and young men in spandex on bicycles, with middle-aged women in sun-hats sipping iced lattes in front of coffee shops, and businessmen carrying their jackets and turning their faces up to worship the light. Such days are intermittant. On Monday, it poured with rain. And today, Friday, it looks like it's gonna be GORGEOUS!

Yesterday I took a bag of books down to Powell's and got $30 in cash. Powell's is the largest new and used book store in the US. Imagine a full city block, two to three stories of books. The knitting section is at least thirty feet of shelving ten feet high. All the new books, and an astounding variety of used books from all the decades! Years ago I got a fabulous 1917 book featuring miters that has strongly influenced all my subsequent knitting.

So after wandering in paradise for a while, I paid for my purchases, and headed toward Pastini's to meet with LG for lunch. Oh, but on the way, I passed Knit/Purl and was powerless to resist the pull to just peek in. YUM! Gourmet yarns everywhere you look. OK, I spent more of my book sale money on a small skein of teal blue silk and bamboo yarn. I have mitered squares planned . . .

Lunch with LG was, as always, a feast for the spirit as well as for the mouth. I walked back to my car, just radiating joy. You know how, as you are walking along the street you catch a glimpse of a person off to the side, and then you realize it's your reflection in the shop window? I took a second look, because I thought that the woman I glimpsed looked so happy. And it was me!

5 Comments:

  • At 10:10 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    Keep smiling!!

     
  • At 6:10 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I felt that way this week. We had real sunshine and warmth. Not hot and sticky but just perfect. I walked down the street with my face raised to catch the sun. It made me so happy.

     
  • At 6:19 PM , Blogger Alwen said...

    Ah, Powell's! One day I must make the pilgrimage out to your happy land!

    Ha! Verification word is "anticing", anticipating something enticing?

     
  • At 9:37 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Wow... you sure do know how to spread the loveliness... thank you--now I have good-day-by-proxie!

     
  • At 4:38 PM , Blogger Bobbie Wallace said...

    Hasn't the sun been rejuvenating this week? We actually went out and just STOOD in the sun and soaked it up! Last time I caught a glimpse of a reflection in a window, I thought, Jeez, look at the size of that woman's butt! OMG! Nevermind . . . .

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home