Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Off-kilter is not necessarily art


It's just a practical, boring, grey-green, silk seed stitch scarf. And trying to take an arty picture of it doesn't make it more exciting. I'm gonna try to sell this, and the strong scarf as a his-n-hers set. Or a hers-n-hers set maybe. There's a local jewelry store that carries extra giftie items during the holiday season. We'll see if they are interested. There's $20 worth of beads in the strong scarf, and another $20 or so in silk. Think anyone would pay $160 for the scarf?(That's $80 for me, and $80 for the store. So I'll make $40 for my time. Works out to about a dollar an hour. Artisans don't live high on the hog.)

5 Comments:

  • At 8:25 AM , Blogger Em said...

    Selling them seems like a good idea, even if return on labor is low. They're both lovely, and around the holidays, people will happily hand their cash over for pretty things. And if they're in a jewelry store, so much the better. $160 will be an incredible deal when compared with diamonds.

     
  • At 8:14 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    There is a really odd satisfaction in selling what you've made--even if you don't get nearly enough! (My short stories sold for peanuts... but I'm still really proud of those damned peanuts!)

     
  • At 9:29 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    You never get paid for the hours of work put into something. When I make needlepoint Christmas stockings to sell (designed by me!) I can only sell for $20-25 each. People always want a bargain!! I have done a lot of crafting for sale (painting birdhouses, needlepoint crafting, cardmaking, making log snowmen, etc) and oculd never get rich on it!! LOL

     
  • At 4:52 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    No artisans don't make a lot of $$ while alive. Others make money after they're dead, so in 50 years that silk scarf will be worth thousands.

     
  • At 5:23 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    There's a lively discussion on ravelry about this very subject. The prevailing thought seems to be to charge 3X what the materials cost (or charge by the stitch) but your time? No way to calculate what your time is worth.

    Your scarf set is beautiful and I'll bet it'll sell.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home