Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Wednesday, September 09, 2009

A patchwork week


This week at work, the boss, TD and her assistant, LI are both on vacation, so I get to work four full days - wich is good for the paycheck, but puts a crimp in my other hobbies. And the Portland Purls will be meeting at my house on Saturday, so things need to be scheduled pretty tightly. I'll be setting the table tonight because the food can't be prepared too far in advance, but the table will not go stale.




Sinc TD and LI are out, we are not doing any of the tests that take special authorization to process. Mostly, it is just placement tests. Should be easy peasy, right? Except these tests are provided by a company back east, and their server went down about 2PM our time - 5ish their time. We had 20 people taking placement tests and one by one their computers went to white screen. I groveled, apologized, and promised that all the work done up to that time had been saved, but it was the other people's server and we didn't have any way to get to them. "All your scores have been saved. We just can't give them to you right now. Come back on Monday when the boss will be here and she will fix it all." Sorry TD. I knew not what else to say. And you DO fix it all, every time it breaks.





Last week TD and LI re-arranged their office furniture. Well, M evidently caught the bug, because she decided to re-arrange the rest of the furniture as well. So we spent the morning dragging filecabinets, desks and tables. We need to leave a wheelchair -accessible route to the special needs testing area, but something about that wide opening seems to invite people to trot around behind the desks to talk more directly to us. So we need a nice velvet rope to restrain the crowds and keep the secure data secure.





So now I have to get dressed, pack lunch, and clear the table.

I am trying new recipes this month. DH found a recipe for low fat, dairy free cookies - orange and rosemary wafers. Surprisingly yummy, but tough little cookies.
Also oatmeal and cranberry cookies, curried chicken salad sandwiches, brownies, fruit salad, and I made up a new tea sandwich. Take rye tortillas, blend a cup of grated chedder cheese with half a stick of soft butter till it's creamy (hooray for electric blenders) and spread generously over 2 tortillas. Cover with thin-sliced ham. Slice a baby dill pickle into spears and roll the ham-and-cheese around the pickle spears. Chill, then slice into 1 inch sections, serve, and stand back. I sliced them on the diagonal so they look fancier. Shall I set a place for you? Oh, and I'm serving breakfast blend coffee, mountain sunrise tea, Iron Goddess of Mercy tea, Rose and lavender tea, Madagascar Red tea, and Peppermint tea. The table will be full of pots! Wish me luck!

5 Comments:

  • At 1:33 PM , Blogger Kate said...

    Rose and lavender tea sounds delicious! Iron Goddess of Mercy tea sounds... interesting, what's in it? I'm so jealous of your Purls, there's no one really in my area that seems to do that sort of thing. Sigh...

     
  • At 5:29 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    I do miss Portland Purls. Like Kate, I have no fun knitting group here.

     
  • At 11:29 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    What great quilts to go with the commentary! And my grading program has been frozen for four days! I WANT IT BACK!

     
  • At 3:39 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    The quilts are lovely. Hate it when the database looses connection, there really isn't much that can be done about it.

     
  • At 5:28 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    As always, the Purls sound like they're in for a treat. Can you feel my jealousy all the way from over here?

    Have a good weekend. And the new quilts are gorgeous!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home