Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, November 29, 2008

cakes and photos.

Bells asked a while ago why one would use a package mix when it's just as quick and easy to make a cake from scratch. I saw a scratch cake recipe in the paper yesterday. Allow me to compare.

Package mix: Set oven to 350
Scratch cake: Set oven to 350
Package mix: spray pan with Pam
Scratch: Butter bottom of pan. line with parchment paper, butter paper and sides of pan and dust with sugar.
package: blend cakemix with 3 eggs 1/4 cup oil on high for 3 minutes
Scratch: In a small bowl whisk together spices with baking soda. In another bowl, cream butter and sugar till smooth. seperate eggs (2 more bowls)wisk yolks together till lemony colored and blend yolks into butter/sugar mix. Whip whites till stiff. Sift flour and baking powder into another bowl (that's 5 bowls so far)Blend flour and spices into butter egg mixture a little bit at a time, alternately. Then fold in whipped egg whites.
Package: Pour into pan
Scratch: pour into pan
both: bake till toothpick insertede into center of cake comes out clean.

Um -easier? Faster?







7 Comments:

  • At 2:28 PM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    I haven't made a cake in a while, but I generally found that people noticed time spent on the frosting more than the cake itself. Adding a few drops of high quality vanilla to the cake mix helps, though.

    The most successful one I made was from a yellow cake mix, with a layer of bananas in the middle, frosted with Nutella and whipped cream. Yum.

     
  • At 6:50 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    I don't do cakes. I'm a terrible cake baker. I make fantastic pies, though.

     
  • At 7:40 AM , Blogger Galad said...

    I'm glad blogger finally cooperated on the pictures!

    I'm with you on the cake mix. Unless a scratch recipe is a treasured family favorite, I think mixes are faster, easier and achieve the same result.

     
  • At 3:35 PM , Blogger Bells said...

    Yep, it's easier to make it from a packet, that's for sure, but if you've got everything to hand, I find at least I know exactly what's in it. I'm a bit funny about all the preservatives and additives that are in packaged mixes. That's one of my main reasons for going for from scratch baking.

     
  • At 9:57 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Lovely pictures--and I like your cake-mix too!

     
  • At 11:34 PM , Blogger the boogeyman's wife said...

    i have to admit i wouldn't want to try that from-scratch recipe you posted. but there are a bunch of swedish cake recipes that are really simple, just measure everything out and mix it, then pour it in a (normal) greased pan. i suppose measuring flour and baking powder takes a wee bit longer than a package, but it does taste better. and, like bells said, i know what's in it.

     
  • At 8:32 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    Great pics!! Thanks for persevering and sharing them.

    As far as the cake conumdrum . . .

    Usually a box mix that I "fix" with extra spices or dried fruit or something.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home