Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, October 13, 2008

off the needle

I went to see my primary care physician today and she said I was ok to quit getting the IV antibiotics and start taking these humongous oral antibiotics tablets. Two pills a day instead of a fourty five minute session with cold liquid dripping into my veins every six hours. Gee, which would I rather do? It is SO nice to get that nail out of my elbow. And these days, they use a flexible plastic needle, so it was much less difficult than things used to be. I am so grateful to be alive here and now!!

I made it in today for a GED test at the local jail,spaced out and left my cell phone at the office, went to the doc, then came home and fell asleep on the recliner. I woke up under a blanket of three cats, all saying, "Lie still. You're warm and cushy. Your snores sound like purring. You need to rest and get healthy so you can continue to feed us. Lie still. Sleep. Sleeeeep." So I did. I'm still relatively pepless. It's early to bed for me.

So, what can I do with the antibiotics that were mis-prescribed? I know you don't flush them. I can't give them to anyone they're not prescribed for. Could I donate them to a free clinic or something? With the home IV infusion kit, we got dozens of pre-drawn syringes with saline or heparin. Still hermetically sealed in their sterile packages. And surgical tubing. Surely someone can put this stuff to use, and I KNOW I can't just dump it in the trash. Suggestions?

The cat that bit me has continued to hang around the back porch. He's healthy and rational and not even apologetic. As Kyle explained, "The cat was cocked and locked and you hit the trigger. It wasn't anyone's fault." But Pepper hates that cat. She crouches at the window with her ears back and her little stub of a tail clamped down tight, glaring and hating with all her considerable will. Not that it makes any difference. The neighbor cat ignores her.

As for knitting, I am back to baby bonnets. I have clipped and seperated the sock tube and discovered that picking up the stitches is a lot harder than I remembered. I'm going to try tomorrow, using smaller needles and good light. Photos to come.

6 Comments:

  • At 8:58 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    Yeah for no more IV antibiotics and purring cats who help you rest peacefully (as opposed to the biting kind - ungrateful little shit).

    My experience with health care supplies is that about the only place that can accept them is a foreign mission of some kind (in Arizona a lot of our supplies like that go to Mexico).

     
  • At 5:25 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I don't think you can donate them anywhere in the US. We're so afraid of tampering. You can probably dump them out and take the syringes to your pcp's office and put them into his "sharps" bucket. It's good to hear that you're feeling better but listen to the cats. They seem to know best.

     
  • At 8:23 AM , Blogger Alwen said...

    It's much harder to get rid of human meds than animal ones these days.

    Glad you are getting better and that your cats are beaming healing vibes at you!

     
  • At 10:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Roxie - This has been a scary story! Glad you are doing better.
    As to antibiotics,medical missions do make use of such things. I doubt that Medical Teams Int. does (they are so large now) but I know my cousin who does outreach in Central America with missionaries (Missouri Synod Lutheran) scrooges for meds, along with school supplies, etc. I don't see her often (they are retired and have a house at the coast but seem to be travelling most of the time - 2 adult kids, with offspring, are in California, 3rd is in Panama on mission last I heard.)

     
  • At 11:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You are WONDERFUL and I'm SO glad you're getting better so fast. I actually know a bit about the disposal issues -- sorry, the meds cannot be re-used, I believe it's actually illegal. If they are hard-surfaced, put them in a ziploc baggie and CRUSH them, then put them inside something opaque that doesn't show they are meds, and put in household trash. (If gel-type, pour a little water in the bag so they get all gummy-stick-together and then proceed.) Of course, never flush drugs down the toilet (and into our water system!). As for the needles and such, call the home health care people for safe disposal info. Or, as Donna Lee says, find a doc's office with a sharps container. Tubing should be OK for the trash.

    One last word o' advice -- please report this to the clinic manager! I would consider this a prescribing error; the system needs to know so they can find out what went wrong and correct it for the benefit of all of us.

    Great big hugs to you!

     
  • At 8:37 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    *shudder* I'm so glad the needle is out of your arm and you can get up and at'em. Poor kitty... (or maybe 'bad kitty--bad kitty! Brush your teeth kitty! Rinse!) Take the meds to a pharmacy... they 'll know what to do.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home