Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

my favorite timeof day

I love mornings. Sunrise is the best. The day is a shiny gift with the ribbons all tied and the paper perfect. It's full of delightful wonderful potential. It could hold any splendid thing. Once you pull off the pretty bow, rip away the bright paper, and tear into the box, you might find that all you have is an amazing ever-expanding unending pile of moose poop. But as long as the day has not really begun, as long as the box stays closed, it could hold any splendid thing. For me, the glass is not completely empty. It is ready to be filled with ambrosia, the elixer of joy, the nectar of the Gods, the milk of human kindness. After all, with all the shit around, there's got to be a pony in here somewhere!


So why don't you join me for lunch on one of the last decent days of the year. It's nippy, but we can sit in the sunny spots and cuddle into our new winter coats and watch the pond settling down to sleep for the winter. Leaves are dropping and blowing across the sun like slivers of stained-glass windows, and the geese are beginning to skein up for the flight south. If you sniff, can you smell it? That wet, brown October fragrance is in the air, and mid-day shadows are stretching out , laying down to rest. The box of the year's present is emptying out, and it's time to start picking up our toys and putting them away. Autumn is such a sad time of year. I'm so glad it still has seriouely potentiated mornings!

5 Comments:

  • At 5:28 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Morning is my favorite time of day. I like the promise of all that is before me. I have gotten up in the dark of the dark to drive the 60 miles to the coast to watch the sun come up over the ocean. And then promptly fallen asleep on the sand.

     
  • At 7:12 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    I love Autumn... for me it always seems like the promise of warmth and joy and children on my lap:-)

     
  • At 3:18 AM , Blogger Kate said...

    As I was inspecting my first sun burn for the season I jumped over to see you writing about chill-in-the-air autumnal transitions. I wish. I love autumn. I've heard that in China, autumn is the season that poets write of. It's either too hot, too cold or too muddy for the rest of the year to get any inspiration, apparently.

    Hoping that autumn fills your inkpot with inspiration.

     
  • At 7:19 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    I wrote in my blog this week that October is my favorite month in the Midwest. I've gotten to have several almost picture perfect fall days - lovely leaves and just enough chill to the air to be refreshing. November is sadder when the leaves are gone and the gray days set in.

     
  • At 5:41 PM , Blogger the boogeyman's wife said...

    thanks for the beautiful lunch spot. enjoy the wet, brown october smell - our air already smells of frost and snow.

    and i sure wish we could find that pony!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home