Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Isn't that a pretty table?

The glass buffet plates with their pretty little cups are all sparkly, sparkly. The baskets are ready to receive warm scones, the andwich tier is ready for honey shortbread and chocolate shortbread and cheezy bites. The Teapots are ready for that hot, strong elixer of life, and all the various honies are set out with dainty little demitasse spoons for every-flavor sampling. And yet, there is something looming over it all . . .

I woke up this morning with a fever of 101 and red streaks running from the cat-bite on my palm, all the way up to my armpit. "This probably isn't a good thing." I thought to myself. So at 8AM I trundled myself down to the hospital and since urgent care doesn't open till ten, and I had the party planned for ten, I checked in to emergency. Everyone who looked at my hand said, "O my god! You were so right to come down here!" By 9, I still hadn't even seen a nurse, so I called two wonderful friends, AL and MJ, and asked them to tell the knitters that I wouldn't be able to host the party after all.

When the doctor finally got to me she took one look at my hand and said wil great approval, This is a classic cat bite! I've never seen such a perfect example of a cat bite! How long ago did it happen? Eighteen hours I bet.(she was right) I have got to get my resident to look at this!" Then she took her pen and traced around the red streaks so we could keep trak of whether they were rising or ebbing, and she had me hooked up to IV antibiotics. Oh, and she looked at the antibiotics that they had given me at Urgent Care the night before and she said, "These don't work. Why did they give you this for a cat bite?" I dunno.

Now I am home,t's after one, I look at the table all ready to party, and I feel sad. But thank God for modern medicine, the fever is down and the swelling is abating. I get to keep my arm. I'm not likely to die of blood poisoning. A home nurse will be here this afternoon to teach me how to give myself more IV antibiotics (I have a saline lock plugged into my elbow right now)and I will contunue getting antibiotics every six hours untill all the uglies are gone.

The only thing is, getting IVs leavesme so cold! I think I will make sure I have a big cup of hot sweet pepermint tea right there for the next infusion.

Meanwhile, I have Fred Astair movies on recordings, and I intend to sit quietly and devote all my energies to healing. Thank you all so, so much for you kind wishes. I'm getting better just as fast as I can.

11 Comments:

  • At 5:16 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    OMG!!! Roxie--I'm SO glad you're doing well after that. By all means, enjoy Fred Astair and feel all my good thoughts for you, darling! (#%%^$ cat bites... they're really only good for mice!)

     
  • At 5:41 PM , Blogger Janette said...

    amy lane took the words right out of my finger tips - OMG!!!

    I'm not much use from this distance, but dear friend, sending you all the best get well wishes I can muster.

    Take care. J xx

     
  • At 6:07 PM , Blogger Pat K said...

    How perfectly awful! Hope all turns out okay. Yecch! Too bad about the party, but get lots of rest.

     
  • At 6:09 PM , Blogger Alwen said...

    A pity to have to cancel the party, but I'm glad you get to keep your arm! My husband, who is not a cat-lover, said, "Do they still test for rabies by cutting the animal's head off?" (erk.)

    You had me drooling over your food descriptions, anyhow.

    And thank you for the sweet comment on my blog!

     
  • At 7:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    How awful! I can't believe how this is going for you. I'm glad you're getting medical attention. Sending healing and warming thoughts your way.

     
  • At 4:11 AM , Blogger Bells said...

    that is really, really awful. What a scary thing - I had never heard that cat bites could do such harm. Take care, resting up and get well really soon Roxie.

     
  • At 5:55 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I've been hospitalized for infections like that. My husband thinks it's great to be able to draw on my skin with a Sharpie and now everytime I get any kind of infectious looking bite, he says "should I get the marker?". I'm glad you got the antibiotics and I am grateful all the time for modern medicine. Sorry about the tea party. It looks so pretty.

     
  • At 8:09 AM , Blogger Galad said...

    Thankfully you went to emergency right away. Your beautiful table will be set again many times :-)

    Sorry you are going through this but hope those antibiotics kick cat bite butt!

     
  • At 2:38 PM , Blogger Tammy said...

    Oh my dear Roxie, I wish I was closer so I could help out. Take care of yourself. Isn't modern medicine wonderful? Lots of hugs to you.

     
  • At 4:54 PM , Blogger the boogeyman's wife said...

    wow. i'm glad you got that taken care of quickly, i'd have tried to ignore it and lost the arm ;)

     
  • At 6:31 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    I had no idea a cat bite would do that to a person!! So glad you acted quickly.

    I'm so sorry about your party. The table was lovely and I could almost smell the fragrance of your home from here (hundreds of miles and many days later). See how good you are with the writing.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home