Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Good morning!!

Today I had time to get up slow, have a proper leisurely breakfast with a newspaper, and spend a little time checking the e-mail before getting dressed and heading out to work. And look - there's daylight by eight AM! Ain't it purty?

But during the quick trip, there was some knitting accomplished. This is the sock yarn I got at the LA County Fair. I thought I might make a scarf, or maybe some gloves, perhaps a hat, but then I got a wild hair and thought, "Why not use this sock yarn to make a pair of socks?"
Well, for starters, I didn't know how far it would go. Sooooo, I decided to knit a long tube using up ALL the yarn, Measure and mark the middle of the tube,grab a contrasting color to knit a toe at the end of this long tube, then clip one stitch where I marked the middle, unravel a row, and put a contrasting toe on the newly freed live end. Voila! Two tube socks with contrast toes and no waste specialty yarn. If I feel really compulsive, I can even add in afterthought heels.

As I knitted on this, (cast on in the airport waiting for our first flight. Knitted while flying and while riding in the car to and from) I discovered that by loosening my tension, the stripes slanted to the right. When I tightened my tension, the stripes slanted left. I had so much fun driving the stripes back and forth that the knitting just flew. Soo, if you don't like the way your yarn is pooling, tighten or loosen your tension accordingly. Eureka!

Work was nice and calm for me. Unfortunately, there's a respiratory thing going around, and two staff members called in sick, so the boss and her second in command were stuck with the whole magilla for the rest of the afternoon. I had made other plans and couldn't stay to help, darn it. Maybe tomorrow. That means less time to prep for knitting, though. Think people will notice if I don't get the laundry folded and put away? I'm hoping that if there's enough to eat, people will forgive a lot.

10 Comments:

  • At 7:57 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    I can totally see the joy in just knitting around and around and around... I could get lost in it...

    Pretty day, pretty sock... keep knitting!

     
  • At 8:13 PM , Blogger Tammy said...

    Wow, you guys have been coming and going. The sock looks cool!!

    I've awarded you over on my blog. :)

     
  • At 10:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Don't clean, don't prep. We'll help you sort the laundry -- it's YOU who make the home so lovely!

     
  • At 3:17 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Beautiful yarn, it looks like flames.

     
  • At 4:05 AM , Blogger Bells said...

    what a FANTASTIC way to make the socks. Bravo!

     
  • At 5:18 AM , Blogger Alwen said...

    Knit socks out of sock yarn? What a wild and crazy idea!

    And what a great recipe for a sock!

     
  • At 5:41 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Pretty sweet looking sock! I would think to use a provisional cast on for the other toe would save a little work.

     
  • At 6:31 AM , Blogger Galad said...

    You can make socks with sock yarn? Glad to know that :-) I'm still at the stage where I need to follow a pattern so I am awed by those who just decide to do something different.

    Are you going to model the new socks for us when they get done?

     
  • At 3:20 PM , Blogger the boogeyman's wife said...

    that tube sock steeking is craziness! brilliantness! i am in awe.

     
  • At 6:20 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    Great sock! Love the colors. That's really neat how you worked out about the zigging and zagging.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home