Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

LAX attitude

Yesterday, I managed to get on-line at DH's aunt's computer using a Frankenstein connection of mis-matched cables and computers jury-rigged sideways. The hotel, as I believe I mentioned, offered WIFI for $12 a day, but it wasn't available on our floor. Talk about nickle-and-diming the customer to death. They charged $26.50 per day for parking for hotel customers, and we found out this morning that there is also a daily parking tax of $2.60. And then, because we are not complete barbarians, ya gotta tip the valet at least a buck for running down to the parking lot and driving your car up. So we paid over $30 a day just to park. I forsee a precipitate drop in travel in our future. The unexpected expenses are eating us alive!

And now, I am paying $10 to blog from the Los Angeles Airport. Internet connection is rather addictive! Thanks ever so for the comments, ladies. It's so nice to stay in touch.

It's been a surprisingly pleasant trip, but there has been almost no down time. I wrote yesterday's blog while riding in the back of the SUV on the way from La Mirada out to Temeculah. When people give us directions around here, it's all by the numbers. "You take the ten to the I5 then get on the sixty one East and exit on one seventy two for the . . . " For someone who is as innumerate as I am, they may as well be speaking Greek. DH, however, copes magnificently! We rented a Dodge Nitro, since the only time we got a smaller car I was scared to death every time we got on the freeway. And when I'm scared to death, I'm not a cheery person. The vision of getting run into by someone in a stolen BMW obsesses me worse than the vision of being smashed flatter than a bug in an earthquake. Los Angeles is a visionary city for me.

I had to get a shot of this local yard art. Recycle those old tires and give your ferns a place to hang. Why buy planters when there are all these charming and artistic options available?

This morning, we checked out of the hotel and joined Harry (DH's sister's boyfriend. Does that make Harry my brother outlaw?)and a few of his friends for breakfast. I enjoyed my oatmeal in the company of 17 gearheads and my husband. I'm having wayy too much trouble getting Blogger to load pictures, or I would show you some of the cars they arrived in. Vintage roadsters and seasoned sports cars, and classy cruisers from the days when they were teenagers. But I gotta tell you, it's good for a girl's ego when all 17 of these nice gentlement make a point of introducing themselves and shaking my hand. And I'm not even wearing makeup today! I had a splendid time. One of the guys even confided in me, very much as if it were something he probably shouldn't comment on, "I like your hair." It took me a moment to realize that I am one of the few grey-haired women in the greater LA area. I joked that the fashion police were about to make a tactical sweep, snatch me up, and administer the mandatory blonde dye, botox, and liposuction. He offered to defend my silver locks to the end.

The breakfast was at a great little Mexican place in Redondo Beach, right on the beach, and there was a morning yoga class going on in the sand. And I gotta tell you, I'm carrying about twice the leagal limit of cellulite. My God, people are beautiful around here! I guess if you get slack and lazy, the authorities just don't allow you out in the daylight. Why, the false eyelash budget for Redondo Beach alone is probably enough to run several small countries. Do YOU wear false eyelashes for YOUR morning yoga? And then there's the question of tans and tattoos. The natural pigmentation tends to alter the add-ons. Those pretty little pink butterflies sort of look like a bad rash from a distance. Glad I'm going home. I miss my bed, I miss my kitties, and I'm not like the other girls.

6 Comments:

  • At 9:40 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    Thank goodness you aren't like the other girls - the world needs more of Roxie and less of false eyelashes :-)

    (The cats are probably missing you too)

     
  • At 11:10 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Roxie, the world would be a sadder and definitely not a wiser place if you were anything like the other girls. Get out the whoopty-twelves and your biggest-eyed needle and fight the fashion police til the bitter end. I'll have your back in my vast & stately T-shirt and men's shorts, with my graying rabid squirrel and my decidedly unfashionable glasses.

     
  • At 5:33 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    LA intimidates the hell out of me. I am perfectly content to be my short, plump, very white (ok, with dyed hair) self while I am here. But there, I would be comparing myself, probably unfavorably, all day. What a thing to do to my self-esteem.

     
  • At 12:27 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    What??!! You mean everyone else doesn't sport false eyelashes 24/7?? I do have a scarf made with eyelash yarn. Does that count?

    Travel is fun and nice but it's always great to be home.

     
  • At 7:28 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    I love being home in my own bed too. I'm an Angeleno but I have neither false eyelashes nore body art. Come to Ventura County!

    MMMmmm, I know that restaurant, although my friends and I prefer Scotty's on The Strand in RB.

     
  • At 12:20 PM , Blogger the boogeyman's wife said...

    we got back from a LA/san diego trip a bit ago (and i still haven't blogged about it yet-sigh). but we noticed the same thing with the hotels. i'd much rather pay $10 more and not know what for, than be charged all these extra fees for things that (i think) ought to come with the room, like parking. we did surprisingly well with the traffic though. and i enjoyed the beach despite my jiggle fat and lack of tan :) i'd rather be myself and natural than dyed and plasticized - i'm glad the one gentleman appreciated your look. i'm jealous of those old cars you got to see!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home