Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, August 25, 2008

Trying to go with photos

I took a mess of pictures this weekend, and Blogger is really throwing a hairy cat fit when I try to load them, so here's what I've managed so far. On Saturday, DH and I went to the Street of Dreams - a showing of palatial homes built in a single exclusive location as a ready-made neighborhood for the more than well to do. This year there were only 6 homes. five of them had views to die for! Our favorite, a three storey little cottage of eleven thousand square feet with an indoor pool and pretty much a second home in the basement, costing just under three million dollars, had a 180 degree view out over the valley. You could see four snow-capped mountain peaks and a great deal of the city from the back decks. My only complaint is that the ceilings were so high that you would feel cold and exposed unless you had the place packed with people. So the cozy nook I photographed her was all the more appealing.

The colors were. for the most part, subtle, comfortable, and unremarkable. Except for this one child's room in screaming willow green with hot pink "Girly" crap. Good shades to turn your three-year-old princess into a shrieking virago.


And there was a very modern house all done in shades of dark-grey and white. Not a good idea in a country where nine months of the year the sky is so overcast that you can go outside at noon and there isn't enough light to cast a shadow. The bathroom on the main floor of this place was painted a browny greenish color which would never have been selected by anyone who had ever faced fresh cow shit. But they did have some neat sculpture in the stairwell.


On Sunday, we spent most of the day at home, and I whacked together a drag-around quilt for an anticipated great-nephew. Drag-arounds are not works of art. They are the quilt you throw in the yard for the infant to roll in the shade, the blanket you take to the beach. They are tents and forts and super hero capes. They go in the car and out to the park. No one cares if the stained pumpkin gets smeared into a drag-around. Just toss it in the wash.

Ben and Pepper insisted on helping me sew. They particularly wanted to help me arrange the pieces. This made things rather more difficult, since I am capable of sewing in two or, on a good day, three dimensions, but cats create in at least five. Naturally quite a lot got lost in the translation, and Ben in particular, mourned the failure of his plans.

I pieced the front,


and the back. It was a weekend project because I used scraps left over from other quilts. Drag-arounds love tidying up the left-overs!

I have lots more photos. I'm even going to edit in photos of the honey spot on the previous post. And next weekend is the state fair. Photogazurkis time! Blogger, get your act together!

Lots of work next week. I start my new temp job at Multnomah county jail, and head back to Clackamas county jail again as well. Woohoo! (think paycheck. Woohoo!) No knitting time while at the jail (you don't want to provide pointy sticks to people with a proven history of poor impulse control) but plenty of time to work out story lines. It's all good.

8 Comments:

  • At 4:39 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Totally cracking up--and I love the concept of a drag-around quilt. (Same concept behind Kewyn's zig-zag blanket.) Top form, today, Roxie--the description of the 'cow-shit green' bathroom cracked me up, and the picture of the sculptures was AWESOME!!!!

    (You know I love your pictures:-)

     
  • At 6:07 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    My drag around when I was little was a quilt my grandmother made. It was worn enough not to be collectible so I could drag it out in the yard to lay on.

    Good luck on the new job!

     
  • At 6:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That quilt turned out great, looks like a fun project. And that Ben is quite the handsome little guy.

     
  • At 6:45 PM , Blogger Lucia said...

    That Ben is turning into a full-grown cat, which is his business, after all. Lovely quilt! You do such great work, even when you're just playing.

     
  • At 5:12 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Where would we be without the cats in our lives to help us in our projects? Mine love when I put fabric out on the table to pin and cut. You'd think they never had anythng soft to lay on. (lie on?)

     
  • At 10:19 PM , Blogger Bobbie Wallace said...

    Love the drag around quilt! Mine was a 9-patch made out of my old clothes by my grandmother, the quilt I got as wedding present from her. Unfortunately, I grew up in the 60s so it's mostly polyester double knit! My brothers' quilts on the other hand are made of their old Levi's jeans and weigh a ton!

    Hey, I'm going to be spinning at Artisan's Village at the Fair on Sunday morning. Come over and say howdy!

     
  • At 1:51 PM , Blogger the boogeyman's wife said...

    what a great wall sculpture...and i'm still in awe at how quickly you turn out good-looking quilts!

     
  • At 12:10 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    LOVE the blue quilts. I keep saying this but it's true. You have a talent for putting things like this together and making them work. I love the juxtaposition of the diagonal stripes in the large blocks with the mitered stripes set on edge.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home