Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, September 04, 2008

"Goosey, Goosey Gander"


How did it get to be September already? It seems just a few weeks ago I was taking pictures of this family, and the kids were all cunning little balls of yellow down. Now, they are fully grown and completely inexperienced and dumb as so many buckets of goose-poo. Life around here is so easy that they may not even bother to fly south. No wonder we are having a population explosion of Canada Honkers!

"Whither shall you wander?" Tomorrow in the late afternoon DH and I will mount a great silver bird, and fly to the fabled land of the south where fame grows midst the bouganvilla and celebrity falls like upon the lucky like shooting stars. Or, to put it another way, we're headed for LA. (and for all you housebreakers out there, I think you should know our sitter this year has a concealed weapons permit. Just asyin' . . .) I will do many photo ops and take a flock of photos. Roxie and the 1937 Ford for one. It's called the Bondolette because it was discovered rusting to death in a field, and most of the body is made of Bondo.(a repair putty used by car restorers.) We will be spending a day in Dizzyland as well. Shall I try to track down Mickey for pictures? Those poor SOBs who have to run around in those suits must earn hazardous duty pay. Between the heat and the mean little brats, life can be downright dangerous for cartoon characters.

"Upstairs, downstairs, and in my lady's chamber." These old nursery rhymes sure didn't make much sense, did they? A goose in boss-lady's bedroom? Someone is gonna catch hell over that! I read a scholarly dissertation once, that ring around the rosey was a song about the bubonic plague. Evidently, the "Ashes,ashes, we all fall down." was sepulchral end of the world stuff. Sometimes, I think scholarly interpretations say more about the scholars than about the works they consider. Sometimes, what they say is, "I have no idea what to write about, so I'm gonna make something up. If you buy this, then I have some oceanfront property in Montanna to offer you."

"There I met an old man who wouldn't say his prayers. I took him by the left leg, and threw him down the stairs." Did you know the last part of the rhyme? I didn't. I had to look it up. We are losing a lot of the old nursery rhymes right now. Who uses nursery rhymes with their kids now-a-days? Does any one play pat-a-cake or ring around the rosey? Did you? What's your favorite?

6 Comments:

  • At 5:46 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I heard that about ring around the rosey. The 'pocket full of poseys' was supposed to help with the smell because of the plague. Not only nursery rhymes (patty cake was a favorite with me and the girls) but Grimm's and Anderson's fairy tales are all being Disneyfied and made all nicey nicey. In the original Cinderella, the step sisters got their eyes pecked out by birds. Not very Disney. I have read the old stories to my kids because life is not all kind animals who make ball dresses and sing. Have lots of fun down in La La land.

     
  • At 6:37 AM , Blogger Alwen said...

    I knew that part because I had "The Original Mother Goose" as a child, complete with throwing down the stairs.

    In answer to your comment about the soapstone stove - the mini one uses gas! No hauling wood, and I suspect even though small, it too will heat the whole house. Like Mies van der Rohe says, "Less is more": it's good having a small house.

     
  • At 8:29 PM , Blogger Lucia said...

    Snopes debunked the plague myth. I always thought the "Mary quite contrary" explanation as a reference to Mary Queen of Scots was true, but apparently that one is disputed also.

    Anyhow... have a great time in LA!

     
  • At 9:22 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    The Goops they licked their fingers
    The Goops they licked their knives
    They spilled their broth on the table cloth
    They lead DISGUSTING lives.
    The Goops they talk while eating
    And loud and fast they chew.
    And that is why I"m glad that I
    Am not a goop. Are you?

    My favorite, handsdown!

    Love your geese--they should get together with my turkeys and do crap-all! (Literally. They would crap over everything!)

    Enjoy your trip, Roxie!

     
  • At 10:42 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Enjoy your visit in LALAland.

    I played pat-a-cake with the New Boy yesterday and he chortled and laughed a big old belly laugh.

     
  • At 4:18 AM , Blogger Kate said...

    Good Lord, it's like you ingesetd Miss Marple! You know how Christie went through a phase of having her mysteries follow the text of a nursery rhyme, usually mysteries that featured Miss Marple?

    I hope you hve fun in LA LA land. Wave to Mt Wilson for me as you land.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home