Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

did I mention I was knitting a baby blanket?

My dental hygenist has a new gandson and has hied me to knit a baby blanket. How big do you like your baby blankets to be? I have yarn and can easily extend borders.




























Fly has very kindly posed with it to give a sense of scale. It's this big next to a large cat. He weighs 14 pounds and it looks quite generous next to him.


It's Paton's Encore - that nice wool and poly blend. Machine wash, but not so icky-crunchy in the hands that I hated working on it. And soooo easy. Hooray for modular knitting!





Tomorrow we head off to the Washington coast where fireworks are legal and gown men can cause explosions with impunity. I stopped at the dollar store yesterday and got MY fourth of July excitement. I have glowsticks! Actually, I'm hoping to get everyone in our party to affix a glowstick to his or her person so no one will accidentally point a Roman candle in their direction in the dark. It's going to be cloudy, maybe even a bit rainy, and it will be as dark as the inside of a cow! If you don't like heat, the Pacific Nothwest coast is a geat place to live. You may mildew a bit, but that's the price you pay for unremitting overcast and temperatures that rarely go above 70 degrees and seldom fall below 40. Ceaseless, year-round, perpetual, never-ending gray and damp. Rather like winter in Devonshire, but less exciting. Gosh, I can hardly wait to go. (When I want to go somewhere, I pack about a week or even two in advance. I still haven't packed for this trip and we leave tomorow morning. But I'll be with DH and if he has fun, I have fun. He sees to it that I'm never cold.)


This has been a difficult week for crockery in our household. DH and I have cereal in bed with the Sunday papers. I have a bowl that is just perfect for this pupose. Well, rather I should say, I had a bowl. It got stacked amidst the papers and when the papers got flung into the recycling bin, the bowl suffered irreperable harm. The next day, I had stacked the breakfast dishes next to the sink and gone to get my clothes on. There was a crash with that particularly crisp sound that only china makes. I emerged from the bedroom to find two kittens sitting side by side in the living room saying, "It wasn't us, Mom. We weren't even anywhere near it. It was - it was grabbity. Grabbity took over and just - well, we weren't even there, so we don't know what happened. But whatever it was, it wasn't us. We need to wash now." The word actually, is gravity, not grabbity. And it does take over. My favorite morning mug is a collection of sharp pointy smithereens. Sigh. Well, it's not as if I have no other mugs. And the kittens certainly didn't mean for grabbity to take over.


If I can't get internet connections on the beach, then may you all have a lovely fourth! Stay safe!!!

11 Comments:

  • At 4:37 PM , Blogger the boogeyman's wife said...

    the turquoise looks great as a border! i couldn't even tell it was part of the mitered squares until the closeup. have a good fourth yourself!

    (btw, my brother thought it was pretty cool someone he didn't know would thank him for being in the military)

     
  • At 5:21 PM , Blogger Denise said...

    Really gorgeous little baby blanket there, I love the colours!

    Canberra (where I live) is one of the few places in Australia where you are still allowed to buy fireworks for the Queen's Birthday holiday (recently passed) - it's getting more restricted all the time, though. Hubby still likes to blow things up. Sigh! but it is pretty.

    Naughty grabbity! I think that's a better name ;)

     
  • At 6:37 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    Our cats have blamed grabbity for a couple of broken dishes and vases too. Maybe it is feline thing.

    Have a wonderful 4th of July.

    P.S. Love the blanket, especially the bright colors. Why do we think we have to do pastels for babies?

     
  • At 12:45 AM , Blogger Janette said...

    Great baby blanket Roxie!

    Enjoy your trip away. Sounds like me when I travel, throw everything in at the last minute. Makes for a light trip and I find I never use everything I take when I do pack in advance.

    The kitties know you are going away and leaving them again. My cat usually pees over the side of the tray, which then runs along the tile lines, spreading pee far and wide ... lovely habit.

    Oh well, what would we be doing if not cleaning up after our kitties.

    Have a great time. xx

     
  • At 11:18 AM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    Strange how dishes always break in groups...I'll go months without smashing one, then three will get destroyed in short order.

    I love that blankie! It is happy and sweet without being sickly-cute.

     
  • At 5:52 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Hi, I'm back from my English adventure and came by to say hi and see what you've been up to.

    I am not a friend of damp and cool weather, especially if it's gray. Thankfully, England had a few warm and sunny days.

    The blanket is great. The colors will make the baby happy and smiley. I agree, modular knitting rocks!

    I'm so sorry about your bowl and mug. Doncha just hate it when you lose your FAVORITE things? All the other hohum crockery stays on the table and the favorites drop.

     
  • At 8:36 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Oh, honey--did you tell them that grabbity is no one's friend?

    Enjoy your trip--and I'm sort of brittle and crispy from so much sun--I think a little mildew would be a change of pace right now! (And, yeah, for my children, I too will be participating in the yearly American celebration of blowing stuff up!)

     
  • At 12:30 PM , Blogger Lucia said...

    Living in a glass house as I do, I shouldn't remark on your typos, but I am having a wonderful time imagining your DH sashaying about in a low-cut dress -- perhaps satin with a few strategically placed rhinestones? And fireworks, the perfect July Fourth entertainment for a gown man.

     
  • At 6:08 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    Great blanket. Great design!! I just keep knitting until it looks right.

     
  • At 6:41 PM , Blogger Nancy @ the Jersey Shore said...

    That blanket is so cool. I think, it's the right size for a baby. :-) Reggae's got 1.5 lbs on Fly...we're both working on the excess. I am winning. Sorry about your broken china. Have a wonderful 4th, yours sounds like fun!!

     
  • At 7:49 AM , Blogger Shan said...

    It's a beautiful blanket! Love the colours.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home