Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, March 13, 2008

I'm on a jury

In my county, the jury waits in a seperate building before being called to the courthouse. In this seperate building, you can have your knitting, your pocket knife, your concealed handgun, and your gelignite explosives. They don't care. However, when you are called over to the courthouse, you are put through a metal detector and have to drop all the above, as well as belt-buckles, shoes, keys, and multiple metal face and body ornaments. I was allowed to have a ball point pen, but not sock needles. Grumble, grumble! However, we didn't get called till 11:30 AM, so I had three and a half hours of waiting time to knit.

We left all our contraband in the waiting room, and they lined us up and marched us from one building to the next in a long queue (thirty possible jurrors from which to select 12.) After processing us through the metal detector, they then marched us up stairs and filled the tiny courtroom. The judge thanked us very nicely for being good citizens, and explained the process to us. Then they excused us for lunch and told us to re-assemble in the waiting room at 1:15. At 1:40they again marched us to the next building, re-checked us through the metal detectors, re-seated us in the courtroom, and the prosecuting and defending attourneys introduced themselves, and asked us questions. Finally we were herded into a dinky jury room, and the attourneys made their choices. And since I got picked, I can't say anything more about that.

They did give us parking passes for today. They pay $10 a day for jury duty, and parking costs $4 a day. You sure don't do this for the money. But I will get a longish lunch hour in Scenic, historic downtown Oregon City, so I'll try to remember to bring my camera. The courthouse is a venerable old building with wonderful architectural details and worn granite floors. And one of my favorite pubs is a block away. Maybe I'll blow that $4 I saved on a nice hot bowl of soup.

5 Comments:

  • At 10:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I hate jury duty. I've never actually been picked but even the day where they do the choosing just vexes me. I suppose I'm a creature of habit and all that newness thrown at me stresses me out...

    Anyway, it sounds like you at least have a nice lunchtime set up for yourself. I do hope that you are feeling better too. Nothing would suck worse than being sick and on jury duty! :)

     
  • At 12:31 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    In Los Angeles County (downtown version) you can have your cell phones, books, knitting, etc in the waiting room.

    I have no idea what happens after you leave the big room because I never get picked for cases. I guess lawyers don't like teachers or maybe I looked too grumpy from riding the metro train and standing in line.

    PS: Throw the book at 'em.

     
  • At 1:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    If I were on a jury, I'd DEFINITELY want Roxie on my case! Caring, fair, wise to the world, forgiving but not a pushover -- you ARE a good citizen!!

     
  • At 7:50 PM , Blogger Kate said...

    The processing and filing in of the jurors sounds remarkably like prisoners entering lock-up! You'd want to be confident which side of the court process you were on.

    You may want to have a listen to this interview of Australian jury experience. I listened to the broadcast live and it was hilarious and useful... well it will be if I ecver get called for duty. Sorry about the long link.

    http://www.abc.net.au/queensland/conversations/stories/s2179487.htm

    When I lived in Los Angeles I was called for jury duty every year. Not even my US citizen housemates got called that often! Each time I had the perfect excuse: I was ineligible as I wasn't a citizen.

     
  • At 12:21 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Matt got stuck on a 6 week case once...as an alternate!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home