Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, November 24, 2007

How to set the table



In order to spread your best tablecloth neatly on the big table you will need assistants. You will stand at one end of the table, unfold the cloth and fling your arms up and forward to loft the cloth smoothly over the surface of the table. Your assistants will catch the other end and help you center it evenly on the table top.

Then you and your assistants should carefully smooth all possible wrinkles and creases out of the cloth. It was at this point that I fired both of my assistants. Undaunted, they continued to add their own personal touches to the setting. Silverware kept winding up on the floor. (It makes such a splendid sound when it hits the hardwood.) I had to cover the butter with upended bowls to prevent the dreaded tongue prints. Was there a paw print or two on the plates? If my guests are looking that close, they are being way too fussy. Halfway through the meal, Pepper jumped up on the table and streaked the length of it, giving it one final check as she went. I yelled at her as she flew past and she stopped to look over her shoulder as if to say, "What?" with that adloescent tone of voice we all recognize.
And, like all teens, they disappeared when it was time to do the dishes.

8 Comments:

  • At 7:29 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    LMAO!!! It's funny when it's someone else's kids/kittens!!!

     
  • At 7:43 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I had a cat who used to sit on the china closet and watch us eat from her high perch. Of course she needed to jump onto the table to get down. We had to be very observant to keep her from jumping onto the table while we were eating. The cats I have now seem to know better. They don't jump up nearly as much. Thank goodness you had such enthusiastic helpers. It's terrible when you have to do all the work yourself.

     
  • At 8:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    These pics are just too cute!

    I'm so glad that my dog Lizzie no longer wishes to help set the table. She then tried ironing my shirts, but always got too much starch in them. The thing she is the best at is warming my side of the bed for me while she's waiting for me to join her.

     
  • At 8:14 PM , Blogger Pat K said...

    I get up in the morning to find all my table linens rearranged. Usually looks like a whirlwind went through. But the kitties know better than to let me catch them doing it. Sometimes Little Cat gets carried away and skates across the tablecloth before she realizes that I can see her. Then it's run under the bed and hide until Mom goes to work.

     
  • At 6:29 AM , Blogger margene said...

    Luck you had the camera near;-)

     
  • At 5:56 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Why oh why did you fire your assistants? They will be scarred for life and will end up on the dole and you will have to provide for them forever and have to pay for their therapy, too. Better to applaud the little darlings and give them their own table to decorate (I was thinking in the garage).

     
  • At 1:58 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    How did I not see this post? What was I thinking? I have two 'assistants' like that. I've fired them several times, but they keep coming back for kibble...

     
  • At 3:57 AM , Blogger Kate said...

    I have a bowl that's purrfect for your house - it says around the rim "Everything tastes better with cat hair in it"! We've a long-haired kitty and it saves on apologies for hair int he dip and chip at parties...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home