Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Deathly Hallows spoiler

I started out by reading the epilog. who dies? Who dies? Well, it wasn't Harry, Hermione or Ron. Knowing this, and knowing that they were all friends at the end probably took the edge off for me. The story proper seemed to go on far too long. I hate stories in which the hero wanders aimlessly, when everything he "knows" is the solution goes sour on him, when loved ones leave and people he has trusted with his very being turn out to have hidden agendas. I read fantasy for escapism. If I want things dark and grim and hopeless, I'll go volunteer at a shelter for abused women. And yet, I couldn't put the damn book down. I kept turning pages, waiting to see how it all came out. Maybe, if I hadn't know it all came out OK, I would have just given up on it. Rowling writes well, but The Deathly Hallows seemed a bit of a let-down. Well, things get so over-hyped, how could it not be?

So, back to the weaving. I am picking up a pattern in my next warp. Since it is only two colors, I pick up all the threads for the first color with a flat shuttle or ruler, and tie them off. This makes it sooo much easier because look - all the threads are in order and proper placement in the fabric. Then when the first color is tied on, the second color is all that's left.


I am using a tube of linen for one of my colors. Very tippy and difficult to deal with. the solution - voila! You can buy these vases for as little as fifty cents at yard sales. They are also a huge help for balls of yarn that like to run around picking up cat hairs and winding themselves around table legs.

The pattern I am using is called "Log cabin." As you can see, light and dark alternate. I will be weaving with light and dark yarn as well. Fingers crossed.



Tomorrow we are flying off for a fiftieth anniversary party in LA. DH was the ringbearer in the wedding. I will try to continue blogging but who knows what may come. If it doesn't work out, I will be back on the 9th. Happy trails, Dear Hearts!

8 Comments:

  • At 8:46 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ooohh, another neat trick with the new warp! Oh man, I just love this, Roxie! ::bouncing excitedly::

    Have fun on your trip, and safe travel! LOL - you'll already be adjusted for the weather down there, too. ;)

     
  • At 9:12 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    Did you get my emails about area restaurants? I used a comcast.net addy.

     
  • At 9:37 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Cool! Anything log cabin is great.
    Have a wonderful time out there, and be wary of roasted bigs in barrels.

     
  • At 9:39 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Have a good trip. I am enjoying the tutorial on weaving. I think it is good to know how much work goes into handcrafted items. It makes me appreciate them all the more.

     
  • At 10:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    **********SPOILERS*********************Gee, Roxie, I have to say I loved Deathly Hallows. I'm not sure that you can really get that Harry expects to die, is willing to die, if you start out knowing he didn't.This is pure kenosis. It is Tom Riddle clinging to life, and power, at all costs versus Harry's willingness to offer himself completely, abandoning all power.
    I thought it ripped right along.
    I think she did a great job in this one, maturing the characters in ways that stayed true to who they were as children. Remember, she has told us witches and wizards come of age at 17. Like our parents who went thru WWII, the characters are adults by the end. Look at Neville. Only his growing into his true self enabled him to pull the sword out of the hat.
    Anyway, I liked it.

     
  • At 11:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I have two more biggish words to add to my previous comment. Individuation - the Jungian idea of growing into the whole and unique person we are. Coming of age / childhood's end stories always have this quality, if they are any good. It is a strong theme in LOTR, for example.
    Catharsis - well, you know what that means, and I experienced some major cartharis with this book. It took me another small step towards coming to terms with my mother's death over a year ago, and a new way of thinking of - no, experiencing the presence of those I love who have died. Tears - good tears. So thanks, J.K. By the way, I read recently that her mother was dying when she began the books - that was one reason Harry was a orphan. Her mother didn't live to read even the first book.

     
  • At 9:23 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    I adored Deathly Hallows--I thought the ending was perfect too!!! And if you're going on vacation, I'm glad I got home in time for your last post beforehand...

     
  • At 5:58 PM , Blogger Flea-Bites said...

    I hope you enjoyed your vacation in LA, Roxie - 50 years! a long time. We have another seven and a half years to go. Before 40 years I used to tell Grandpa Flea that I was only hanging around for the ruby! Since I'm still here, minus the ruby, I think it might have been a tactical error! We still see our best man regularly and although my best woman lives in Vancouver, we still see her from time to time. Old friendships are very special.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home