Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Rum balls recipe

Single batch

Crush a box of Nabisco Vanilla Wafers to powder. (I use a meat grinder now. You can wrap them in a muslin tea towels and pound them with a mallet or put them in a pillow case and let the three year old run trucks over them for a few hours. Or teach your elephant to tap-dance on it.)

1C chocolate chips
1/2C sugar
3Tbs light corn syrup
1/2C rum
2 1/2C finely crushed vanilla wafers

Melt chocolate chips (in the microwave is best - 1 minute on high Or, if you prefer, use a double boiler, but take it off the fire when you add the rum. Kitchen flambe is not nice)

Add sugar and corn syrup. Stir.

Add rum. Stir.

Thouroughly mix in the cookie crumbs. Let it cool for a while. When it is warm enough to handle, shape into balls about the size of a small walnut and allow to ripen in air-tight containers for at least several dys. "They'll never know what hit 'em!"

Variations: 1- Use Amoretto, bourbon, or Grand Mariner intead of rum. (or Curacao, or Drambuie, or Framboise, or Creme de Menthe, or . . .)

2 - Add 1 tablespoon of cinnamon to the rumballs.

3.- Add a jar of marmelade to rumballs.

4 - use honey instead of corn syrup.

White chocolate chips and coconut instead of cookie crumbs is pretty yummy, too!

3 Comments:

  • At 8:21 AM , Blogger JulieLoves2Knit said...

    Gosh those sound good!!. I've read the River Why and loved it. I actually am reading another book by him - My Story as Told by Water - non fiction essays and am enjoying it.
    You should see Camp Sherman today - it really is a winter wonderland, tons of snow and the sun shinning through the fog in a few places. Lovin it!!! Hate the drive!

     
  • At 9:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thanks for sharing the recipe! I can't wait to make them :)

     
  • At 5:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow--the very idea is making me drunk, fat, and happy...thanks for sharing rhe recipe!!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home