Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Tuesday with rain



Here is our fourth black and white kitty - Gordo! Gordo is quiet, doesn't eat much, never poops in the house or needs to go to the vet. On the other hand, Gordo doesn't snuggle worth a damn, and the purr is completely missing. Gordo is showing off yet another red scarf (one an evening on these whoopty twelves!) Jack is longing for a chance to sit on the chair and be pretty, too. But when I offered to let him pose, he snubbed me. I have given all the cats their flea drops today, and everyone is snubbing me. Everyone except Gordo, that is.

Yesterday, I got a real, hand-written letter from a woman who grew up in the same area I did, and who had read about my book in the home-town newspaper. She wrote to congratulate me on actually making it to press. I was shocked with the pleasure and delight of it. A real letter! I have gotten to thinking and have decided to write a real letter or two a bit more often. Even if it's just a note to say hi. Getting something in the mailbox with a handwritten address was WONDERFUL and I want to spread the goodness around.

And I confess that I love Christmas cards, too. Bragging family newsletters, or just a quick signature on a small card, all make me happy. Some one thought about us enough to put a stamp and an address on an envelope and stick it in the mailbox. Then I get a moment to think about them, and the connection resonates. If you would like a Christmas card (or a "holiday" card if you want to be P.C.)just give me your address. I enjoy sending them out almost as much as I enjoy getting them.

Today, I think I will begin the annual rum-ball blitz. Roxie's rum balls are the stuff of legend. While I run the vanilla wafers through the meat grinder, I will debate on this year's flavor variations. Cinnamon was a good addition, as was orange juice concentrate. I'm still looking for a strong hazlenut flavoring addative. The flavored syrup for coffee isn't quite enough to balance the chocolate. And I have an unfortunate predeliction for the bourbon ball variation. I might not give any of those away. Rum-soaked raisins were well recieved by one friend in particular, so I'll have to add some into his batch. What else goes well with chocolate and rum? Peanut butter wasn't good, nor was peppermint. Maybe some coconut? I have ten boxes of vanilla wafers which will equal 5 batches to flavor. Decisions, decisons.



"Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming."

6 Comments:

  • At 1:55 PM , Blogger Lucia said...

    Orange? Raspberry? Maybe banana? I'm not a huge banana fan myself, but the banana/chocolate thing seems quite popular these days.

    OTOH chocolate and rum seem fine by themselves. Yum.

     
  • At 4:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The look on Jack's face is priceless.

     
  • At 5:14 PM , Blogger Pat K said...

    Your pictures the last few days are fab! (I've been out in an alternate universe the last few days. Otherwise known as Christmas shopping mall-ferreting.) What yarn are you using for the red scarves? What dimensions? Any particular patterns?

     
  • At 5:16 PM , Blogger Yeah So said...

    mmmmm..rum balls....pinapple? raspberry? hell, you put enough rum and chocolate in there, you could put iron fillings in there for all I care.

     
  • At 8:53 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    mmm...rum balls...amaretto...definitely amaretto... anyway, it's a good thing you live in the wilds of Oregon or you couldn't get rid of me! Nice scarves, and from my point of view, Gordo looks like the perfect pet. (I'm pretty sure I still have your address in e-mail, but my e-mail has been DOWN for the last week...something about having to reformat it when my hard drive destructed and forgetting the password...you know...details... anyway, I'm still planning to send you a holiday card, but, uhm, we may have to wait until my e-mail is up for me to get your address:-)

     
  • At 8:53 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    mmm...rum balls...amaretto...definitely amaretto... anyway, it's a good thing you live in the wilds of Oregon or you couldn't get rid of me! Nice scarves, and from my point of view, Gordo looks like the perfect pet. (I'm pretty sure I still have your address in e-mail, but my e-mail has been DOWN for the last week...something about having to reformat it when my hard drive destructed and forgetting the password...you know...details... anyway, I'm still planning to send you a holiday card, but, uhm, we may have to wait until my e-mail is up for me to get your address:-)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home