Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Not for THIS girlfriend

I was down on NW 23rd, the chichi shopping district, waiting for Lush to open so I could collect the box-o-goodies I won, and I stepped into a shop called "Girlfriends" to have a look around. Cute , simple clothes. Nice colors. they might even have had sizes a mature amazon like me could wear. I didn't stay long enough to find out. When I lifted the tag to check the size, I saw the price. $79 for a simple cotton t-shirt? I got out so fast I nearly left skid marks! Holy old boot soles, Batman! Who pays that sort of money for a t-shirt? You could have it custom knit for you by Taiwanese virgins at that price! I mean -Mother of Pearl! How can a shop like that stay in business?

So I fled across the street to the Assistance League Thrift Store that has been in the same location since the neighborhood was home to bums and winos, hookers and pushers, petty criminals and other art students. The thrift store had not changed. Still a clean, simple, brightly lighted shop manned by nice ladies and offering good quality used clothing at a decent price. In reaction to the $79 T-shirt, I found myself buying a Ralph Lauren skirt, a purple cotton cardigan with pockets, a silk hawaiian shirt, and a long-sleeved men's shirt (cream and red stripes- yipes!) for - - drum roll please- - thirteen dollars.

Needless to say, I am pleased as the proverbial punch with my deals. Now to see if anything in my closet will go with that skirt. Oh, well. That's what white blouses are for, right? They justify all the impulse buys.

I am working an a blue surprise sweater, hoping to get it done this weekend. Is there really a football team that has blue and orange as their colors? Ewww, gross! Well, babies like strong contrasts.

Wanietta, the fastest knitter in North America, has a heartwrenching picture on her blog. http://whatswaniettaknittingtoday.blogspot.com It shows rounds and rounds of knitting, literally thousands of stitches, with an inadvertant twist in the work. Of course, she had to frog it. But the more I look at that picture, the more I think she might be on to something here? What if you put INTENTIONAL twists, knit several rounds, then unwound one twist, sort of cinched the yarn across it, knitted a ways, unwound and cinched across another twist . . ? I bet it would create a nifty sort of scallop across the bottom of the fabric. I'll have to give it a try. Not on sock tops, though. Sock tops need to be elastic. Maybe a cuff. Or a a hat. How about a cute li'l baby cap with scallops all along the brim? Where's my pink yarn?

1 Comments:

  • At 4:47 PM , Blogger Lucia said...

    If there's anything I love more than a deal, it's turning what everyone heretofore has called a Mistake into a Design Element.

    Sadly, a lot of shirts are made by Taiwanese virgins, for a lot less money than that.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home