Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, January 05, 2015

And for the new year . . .

First Monday of the new year I was called to jury duty, and I was actually looking forward to it.  On the first Monday of the month. our county court selects grand jury members, which means you serve five days a week for the month, up to 8 hours a day.  I was looking forward to the pay($25 a day) and the experience.  However, just like 90% of the people called, I was not selected.  So I have completed my civic duty for the next two years, just by showing up and being willing.  And they will pay me $10 to cover my expenses. ($5 for a day's parking.)

It was interesting to hear the reasons people had for being excused.  One woman was self-employed, running a nursery.  If she was unable to work for 40 hours of every week in January, she would ". . . be unable to put food on the table or pay the mortgage."  Another woman said she would be unable to deal with domestic violence cases.  She was nearly in tears.  And a guy was scheduled to fly to Japan tomorrow to manage his company's branch office.  Yep, I would say those are valid reasons for excusing people.  I would have been glad to take their places, but I was not chosen.  Sigh.

So I am free to nap, knit, play with knives, or spend hours at the sewing machine.  But first, I MUST write my Christmas thank you notes.  I'm such a bad rude person!!

The photo, by the way, is of my hand-spun, jello-dyed, original design poncho and hat.  It's oh so cozy, but may have had something to do with why I wasn't selected.

6 Comments:

  • At 7:52 PM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    Does it taste like Jello? Will it fade? It looks very comfortable and cool too. Love it.
    I've been called 13 times to the jury, served 9. I dislike all the sitting, but it would be a great place to sketch.

     
  • At 3:56 AM , Blogger Delighted Hands said...

    I've been called and excused several times...I always wonder why. The poncho and hat sure looks cozy and bright!

     
  • At 6:15 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I have been called to sit on a murder trial. Sound interesting? Three weeks of complete boredom. It's not nearly as interesting (or fast moving) as on television. I did the Federal court thing as well. Every other day for 3 weeks I had to check in. I never got called for that one.

    Once I gut turned down for the magazines I read (and the fact that I don't have a bumper sticker!)

     
  • At 7:15 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    I finished my thank you notes last week--what a relief.

    I wish you had been chosen--your observations would have been hilarious.


    Oh well, just keep knitting.

     
  • At 4:53 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Lovely poncho. It's almost as bright as you.

     
  • At 4:34 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    Maybe they thought you would use the experience to write a book.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home