Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, June 20, 2014

Fuge State

Fugue state: An altered state of consciousness in which a person may move about purposely and even speak, but is not fully aware. 

I start sewing and sometimes, things get away from me.  I have been diligently working at reducing the stash, and I had an apple box full of orange and yellow strips, fat quarters, and miscellaneous leftovers.  I love these mitered squares.  So, on Thursday at 7AM I sat down to just put a few strips together.  I was supposed to meet friends to celebrate a birthday at 12:30.  I came to awareness when Kyle came home at 3.  And the quilt was over half done.  But my consciousness was absent the whole time.  I do not remember doing this.  It's a fun quilt, and I like it.  I'm not complaining, but the colors and the patterns and the hypnotic process . . . I just get sucked under and disappear.  If you ever wonder how old-time craftsmen could spend hours and hours and hours on their crafts, I think I have discovered the secret. The conscious mind goes someplace else.

We had a hailstorm a few days ago.  Beat the crap out of our calla lilies and tomatoes.  Thunder and lightning and more hail than I have ever seen in this city.  I am much too much of a wuss to live in the midwest.  I wanted to go hide under the bed with the cats.  I rather enjoy a good electrical storm, but this pea-sized hail hammering down was a bummer.






Here's what's left of a promising young tomato plant.  
 And then the flooding started.  You could have held trout races in the street in front of our house.  We don't look for summer till after the 7th of July around here, but frostbite in June is not that common either.  Climate change is real.  


7 Comments:

  • At 8:56 AM , Blogger Delighted Hands said...

    Beautiful quilt-that is why it has been called therapy...Glad you got into the fugue state with it!

    Not so wonderful to have damaging hail-that is a LOT of hail, too.

    Hope all the plants can bounce back since it is early in the season.

     
  • At 1:12 PM , Blogger Indigo Roth said...

    Hey Roxie! I know this fugue state all too well. I lost several hours working on photos today. I was asked recently how I approach working on each photo, and I had no clue. I just do it. *sigh* That really is a very pretty quilt, by the way =) Indigo x

     
  • At 11:12 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    That was quite the storm!! It can be hypnotic sometimes when you get into doing something. Lovely quilt.

     
  • At 5:02 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Lovely quilt. Perky has decided she wants to quilt now also.

     
  • At 5:32 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Spinning induces that state in me more times than not. The slow rhythmic movements are soothing and time flies by unnoticed.

    Climate change is real. Our last few years seem to prove that but maybe this happens every so often and I'm not old enough to remember? Hail scares me, too. I don't like the idea of the sky throwing pebbles (and sometimes rocks) at me.

     
  • At 5:31 AM , Anonymous benita said...

    Don't you just love getting lost in what you are doing? I get like that when I weave - hours can go by without my realizing it.

    I see Kyle wearing long sleeves in that picture of the hail balls, so it must be pretty cool there. Not here. It's hot and we had a tornado hit part of the city yesterday afternoon. YIKES!!!

     
  • At 7:36 PM , Blogger Acorn to Oak said...

    I love this quilt! And, how interesting how you got so lost in the process of creating it. That's really cool! Very cool that it was from your stash too! Great job!

    Wow! That's a lot of hail!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home