Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, November 22, 2013

shopping

I like to get a running start on Christmas so I can miss the crowds.  I went shopping at the mall today and found it not at all oppressive.  In fact, since they already have all the lights and decorations up already, it sort of got me into the spirit.  After shopping hard, I settled down in view of the Santa corral, and pulled out my sack lunch.  The Santa corral - you know - the quaintly fenced in area where Santa and the photographers hang out?  It was fun to watch the process.  They weren't rushed, so they could take time with each kid or set of kids.  All the little ones left smiling.  There were even pauses in the stream of customers, when Santa had time to wave to the passing kids.  There were a set of twin girls, maybe 4 years old, who were trailing along after mom, (who was burdened with infant, and piles of packages in the stroller.)  The little girls were holding hands and being very good about sticking close to mom until they saw Santa.  They stopped in open-mouth wonder.  And then, -- then -- oh then, Santa waved at them!  Right at them!!  They were gobsmacked.  They were stricken with the glory!  They were all furschummulled!  Mom had to go back and gently herd them away, and they went with heads on shoulders, staring at Santa as long as they could.  It was magic!

I was perched on the second floor, looking down into the photo corral.  During another pause, Santa was looking around, and then like some soldier who has been under fire, he felt my eyes on him and he flashed a look up at me.  I smiled, waved and blew him a kiss.  He "caught" the kiss and tucked it under his mustache.  Blessings on you Santa, whoever you may be.  This will be a long six weeks.  May you hold fast to the love and wonder.

6 Comments:

  • At 4:54 PM , Blogger Delighted Hands said...

    Fun! I am not a shopper so it is always a major push to get me out and in the stores!

     
  • At 10:41 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    ahhhh...how sweet!

     
  • At 4:52 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I enjoy Christmas shopping since we instituted the pollyanna in the family. I am shopping for 2 or 3 people and not 10. It's more relaxed and much more fun to spread the giving joy part of the holiday around.

    I want Pk and I to get a photo with Santa to give to the girls. He is balking (but I may still win in the end!)

     
  • At 5:08 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    What a great story. I stay away from our mall, too busy.

     
  • At 12:38 PM , Anonymous benita said...

    You are such a fun person. Never, ever lose that child-like quality to life.

     
  • At 1:27 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    That's what I love about you, Roxie. You always notice everything and see the fun in it.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home