Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Sunday, December 11, 2011

We went out for lunch

Grocery shopping was pretty easy today.  It's the weekend between most paychecks, and we got to the store about 30 minutes earlier than usual, so the crowds were almost non-existent.  No overstressed moms trying to wrangle two toddlers and a bored pre-teen through the aisles, negotiating the weekly box of of cold cereal and blocking the aisle for ten minutes while reasoning with the two-year-old who wants Neon UltraSugar Crunchies.  No large immigrant family with the seven-year old reading and translating packages and signs for Mom, Grandma and Aunty.  No brain-dead shoppers running me down with their shopping carts.  No one parking their cart sideway in the aisle while they read every ingredient on the label.  I don't care if people read their labels.  I object to blocking the flow of traffic when it is cart to cart in both directions all through the store.  When we went shopping today, you could have roller-bladed through the store.  We got done so quickly that we got everything home and put away before lunch.

So, instead of grabbing a quick burger on the fly, we went out for lunch. We hit a local brewpub (OakBottom Pub) and were just delighted by the names of the seasonal brews.
Consider:  Brewdolph, the Belgian Red
                 C-Sons Greetings Ale
                 Sockeye Cream Stout
                 Ye Olde Tavern Rat Barley Wine

Wouldn't you like a pint of each?

Being grownups, we faced the 40 degree fog with hot tea.  DH had a cheeseburger and hand-cut fries.  French fries cut from fresh potatoes right there on site!  Yumm-o!  And I had the Oak's Bottom Salad - large. Or as I called it, "The Big Bottom salad."  Mixed greens with chèvre, candied hazelnuts, and spiced pear.  I could eat that salad every day for a month!

7 Comments:

  • At 1:07 AM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I remember in Scotland there was one pub with a huge sign advertising their "BIG JUGS WITH ROUND BOTTOMS."

     
  • At 5:11 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Lovely sounding beers. Grilltech is talking about making a coffee mint brew.

     
  • At 5:22 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    That place sounds terrific and makes me hungry even though I just had breakfast.

     
  • At 9:35 AM , Blogger mplanck said...

    Love those big salads that have everything good in them. One of my favorite dinners "out." Yum. Alice

     
  • At 8:10 PM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    Sounds yummy. Congrats on winning the easy-shopping lottery.

     
  • At 5:10 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    We have a local store that is upscale (in that it carries many foreign foods and specialty items all for a hefty price). I like to go in there once in a while but always want to slap someone when I come out. People are always so rude there, cutting you off with their carts, blocking aisles and letting their overpriviledged children run wild.

    I stick to my local, pedestrian store where the aisles are wider ant the people seem friendlier.

     
  • At 12:16 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Oh hey-- when have you seen me shopping with the two gradeschoolers and the teenager? Because I could swear I've been that family!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home