Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, December 06, 2011

A day to play

DH got up at 5 like always and went off to work.  I had my breakfast, tidied the kitchen, and started to play on the computer.  I had been through e-mail and Facebook and was just catching upon blogs when the door opened, and DH walked back in.  "They sent me home for lack of work."

So I recruited him to help me shop for some young great nieces and a nephew.  Tuesday morning at Toys R Us on Dec. 7 was not nearly as dreadful as I had anticipated, and DH had a ball!  The kids are 3, 5, and 7.  The remote-controlled jeep may get played with more by Grandpa Den and Uncle Alex, and the talking doggie may drive everyone nuts before the 3 year old tires of it. I chose some jewelry-making kits for the 5 year-old, because I always wanted kits to make things, and if I have no idea what to get her, at least I can get something I would have loved to get.

Since it was so quiet, we headed off to the mall to have a bit of a look around. (This was entirely his idea.  The mall anytime after Thanksgiving scares me.  He goes on Christmas Eve just for the fun of the crowds.)    We stopped at the gourmet olive oil store and got some Strawberry balsamic vinegar which will make killer salad dressing.  then he marched me into the department store and said, "For Christmas, I am going to get you a new formal dress for our April cruise.  Let's shop."  Swear to God, if I could clone this man, every woman in America would want a copy!

Unfortunately, we couldn't find anything appropriate for a 61 year old woman.  When I was young and slender, I could wear anything.  Now, my skin is crepy, my upper arms are drapey, and sophisticated basic black makes me look like a corpse.  Moreover, everything is cut clingy, slinky, and strapless.  With ruffles. I got so bummed out that we gave it up and went out for lunch.  And right across the street was David's Bridal.  Mother of the bride dresses?  Sure, we can look.

I found four possibilities.  The dear clerk took notes on all of them, helped DH find things in other colors, and will help him when he goes back to make a selection.  So it will be a surprise for me!  He is even talking about accessories. After all the time in the mall trying on things that made me look like mutton dressed as lamb, or like six pounds of pork in a four pound casing, or like someone you might see on the CSI autopsy table, it was a treat to try on pretty clothes that made me look like an elegant lady!  


12 Comments:

  • At 5:15 PM , Blogger Rose Red said...

    What a great husband! How exciting to get a new fancy dress (not to mention an extra day during the week with your man! That's always a great treat!)

     
  • At 6:58 PM , Blogger sophanne said...

    I'm glad this story has a happy ending. It gives me hope.

     
  • At 7:08 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    It is not the dress that makes you elegant. You are always poised and elegant eery day! Even in shabby going-to-pull-weeds clothing.
    The elegance comes from within.

    And I gotta share that my verification word is saint! LOL

     
  • At 9:30 PM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    Brave Roxie and Husband. I'm shopping online for most of my Christmas presents. Although a trip to toys ur us does sound tempting. If you want a fun shopping experience try Hollywood vintage just off Sandy blvd. on 28th. Cindy and I went there tonight just to play.

     
  • At 11:24 PM , Anonymous Patricia Lichen said...

    Oh my, woman, you are gorgeous, as your DH is well aware!

     
  • At 4:58 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    He is a darling husband. Peter Kevin won't shop for me without one of the girls (usually Emily) with him. Since she has good taste, I usually luck out with something tasteful.

    And it's 61 degrees at 7 am here this morning. In December! It's hard to believe Christmas is breathing down my neck with the spring-like weather.

     
  • At 5:07 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    DH is wonderful!!

     
  • At 6:33 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    So, when are you getting him cloned?

    If I mention clothes shopping to Scott, he's suddenly very busy with a tight deadline. I can't even get him to go shopping for his clothes.

     
  • At 1:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow...you got your hubby to go clothes shopping with you. He suggested it. Now I know I've entered the Twilight Zone...I'm going to go see if mine wants to go to the Sound of Music.

     
  • At 9:28 PM , Anonymous LindaG said...

    Your DH is marvelous and I must simply add the absolute truth that you ARE gorgeous -- all the time, in all garb. He knows that as well as we do. Love you!

     
  • At 10:18 AM , Blogger mplanck said...

    You are one of the most elegant women I know. You'd make a flour sack look like haute courte. Is that spelled right? If not, you get the idea. Alice

     
  • At 12:21 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    DH is awesomesauce, and your heart is so elegant and so gracious, he must really love seeing you clothed in a dress that will match:-)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home