Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, January 24, 2011

I begin to understand

When poets waxed lyrical about the glories of well baked bread, they had to be talking about a rare and uncommon thing.  I have thermometers and a temperature controled oven and every modern convenience, and I'm still stuggling with this bread-baking thing.  Especially that second rise.  (But I gotta tell you, this dense bread is really yummy!)  What blows me away is that our foremothers, for millenia, did all their baking in a wood-fired oven with no thermostat.  How did they know when it was hot enough?  How did they keep it hot enough?  No wonder there's all this har-de-har about new brides not being able to turn out a decent meal.  This is the sort of thing that would takes years of practice.  My Norwegian grandmother was cook for a logging camp, and fed thirty men with what she cooked on a wood stove.  I am not fit to wash her pots and pans.
Bread baking has been a humbling experience so far, but I'm not done yet by any means!!
I am, however gaining back the weight I fought to lose.  Homemade bead, even indifferent home-made bread, is delicious!!

9 Comments:

  • At 5:02 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Roxie, Not to worry. You'll soon get the hang of it, the feel of the dough when it has been kneaded enough. I think that Laurel's Kitchen cookbook gives excellent step by step directions to help you make great bread.

     
  • At 5:41 PM , Blogger LA said...

    ....and when that bread comes right out of the oven, it's HEAVEN!!! I love the smell of bread baking!!!!

     
  • At 6:57 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    Homemade bread is the best but does take some practice. As you've already learned, eating the "mistakes" is the best part.

     
  • At 7:19 PM , Blogger sophanne said...

    We are on the same page

     
  • At 9:19 PM , Anonymous tlbw said...

    Come on over sometime when you have a free day and we'll bake bread together. It isn't hard. Truly.

     
  • At 7:13 AM , Blogger Heide said...

    I love summers because then I have time to bake fresh bread for my family. The smell of the yeast, the bread baking, etc., they all make the house seem more homey.

     
  • At 7:34 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Fresh warm bread. Gotta love it. Keep at it, you'll get it.

     
  • At 1:26 PM , Anonymous Alice Lynn said...

    Roxie, hold onto your hat! This is a test. If you bring me bread, you will pass.

     
  • At 11:22 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    You know about fifteen years ago, my mom offered to buy me a bread machine and I declined (I had no place to put it.) Ah, the follies of youth.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home