Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Sunday, January 23, 2011

cinnamon roll fail

I didn't have the heart to take photos.  Evidently the top of the gas fireplace pilot light isn't warm enough.  Flat cinnamon rolls don't quite make it, though they were tasty.  So I tried another batch, rising it in the oven like the KitchenAid book suggested. Great rise!  Beautiful rolls!  I over-baked them.  I had to soak the pan in a sink full of hot water to get the bread part out, and the cinnamon-sugar part is still soaking.  Let's see - how can I foul up the next batch? Right now, plain, simple white bread is rising.  We'll see how that turns out.  I may stand in the kitchen, right next to the oven to keep them from over-baking.  Ah - the alternative may be bread that's still a big raw in the center.  I can hardly wait!!

But I did find a great receipe for peanut-butter / raisin cookies for my friend with the cancer.  He LOVES raisins. I called him to let him know I was bringing some cookies.  "Thanks!" he said, "The only dietary restriction I have right now is raisins."  Oh well.  He's getting lots of company.  He can feed the cookies to them.

This weekend, the barstids that DH works for are making him work all wekend long.  Sucks rocks.  Still, it's great to have a job to complain about.  I'm sort of at loose ends - spending 8 hours waiting for him to come home.  I usually plan projects for myself on work days, but I wasn't prepared to be on my own at short notice.  Pull my socks up and do some housework.  Boy - if that's what happens every time he has to work overtime, I'm REALLY gonna hate it when he has to put in extra hours.  Maybe next time I'll spend the time lounging in bed with a pot of hot tea, a cheery romance and a few kitties.  If I can't have my beloved, I'd better do SOMETHING to give myself the will to live.

As I was going through the old photos I found this one of my grandpa.  And what's that he has hidden under his elbow?  A brown paper sack? Could he be drinking some sort of alcoholic beverage out of the bag?  Well, I remember thee story of how, during prohibition, Grandpa was brewing his own beer, and had just bottled a batch when the priest came over for a visit.  Grandpa, Grandma, and Father Schmidt were sitting in the living room, drinking coffee and having a great time when a bottle of beer exploded in the basement.  Father Schmidt was startled, but before he could say anything, another bottle exploded, and the smell of beer came wafting up through the heater vents.  Father sniffed, looked thoughtful, and carried on as if nothing at all were happening.  He spent another hour chatting comfortably until the explosions stopped, then thanked Grandma and Grandpa and took himself off.  A good German boy like Father Schmidt knew the hazards of home-brew.

7 Comments:

  • At 2:51 PM , Blogger LA said...

    Great story!!! Your Grandpa sounds like a character! My grandfather made "bathtub gin." Wonder if they cleaned the tub BEFORE and AFTER!!!

     
  • At 4:39 PM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    We walk in through the utility room and couldn't figure out where the sweet-honey smell was coming from in there. A couple of days later, the cats are batting around a cork. WTF?

    It was about then we realized the batch of mead Grilltech had been storing in the closet and blown their corks and spilled the yummy goodness all over the room.

    To this day there is dried mead on the ceiling.

     
  • At 4:55 PM , Blogger sophanne said...

    I feel your baking frustration but am grateful for this honest post. Through you I continue to learn that I am one of many instead of alone in the world.

     
  • At 5:21 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    LOVE the story and picture. Your grandfather sounds like a right fun fellow. I've never heard of a raisin restriction before. Poor, dear friend. I hope he's not hurting too bad. Many hugs to you and scritches to your kitties. At some point I still need/want to bring your mat cutter down. If your DH's schedule continues to keep him busy then maybe I can coordinate a time to keep your mind preoccupied. Cheers and hugs!

     
  • At 6:01 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    If all else fails, there's always Dave's Killer Bread.

     
  • At 1:10 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Your grandpa sounds like something special! And sorry about the cinnamon roll debacle-- wow... it sounds like baking was just not in your cards! (I know what it feels to be not at work and at loose ends... I'm lucky... I've got some ends to keep nice and tidy, but I still know that feeling.)

     
  • At 10:33 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I'll bet your house smells delicious though!! LOL

    Raisins - what a strange restriction. I was told to cut out/hard core reduce fats, caffeine & alcohol. Whatever!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home