Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, January 21, 2011

A year of seasons

Here's that little maple tree from a different angle.  This photo was taken on the one sunny day we saw last week.  Look - the sky is blue!!  Today, the sky is a monochrome in shades of gray.  The puddle at the end of the driveway is deep enough to raise trout, and the rain ranges from persistent drizzle to pestilential downpour.  Many of the local rivers are over their banks, though I have seen worse.  And I'm DAMN glad we live at the top of a rise.  If we get flooded out, the entire downtown of Portland will be under water.
I posted the last of the old family photos on facebook - including my grandpa in full beard when he was working on the Al-Can highway in Alaska. Quite the picturesque cheechako.  

Dave suggested I have a virtual garage sale on the stuff I cleared out of my head.  For starters, I'm donating all the squooshy, ornate, and extravagant furniture to the Elves in Amy Lane's Green's Hill.  And the gwdaful lamps, too.  Especially the five foot tall golden plaster off-center Grecian maiden with the amphora on her shoulder and the light fixture coming out of her head. And the porcelain lady with the huge hoop skirt that concealed a radio, the tall white wig with the rhinestones in it, and the light fixture coming out of the top.  The shade on that was pink, with tassles, finge AND beading.  Nothing succeeds like excess.  I figure the sprites and elves will have a grand time with those.  Though, there was a time, the third time I moved that damn Grecian maiden, that I thought I might like to stick it out in the field at the cabin and blast away with a shotgun. that sucker was HEAVY!

As for the cookbooks and romances, the china chipped and faded from being sent through the dishwasher, the pieces of carpet left over from the last remodel in the 70s, the pastel-colored cigarettes with the gold-paper filter-tips, the moth-eaten furs and the gaudy costume jewelry - have at it, folks!  MJ already has the old dining-room table and china cabinet, and is giving it a whole new set of vibes. Thank you, MJ!
 I got the intangibles and those are the things that count.

The cats and I are moving in a big pile of yellow pillows and some fuzzy blankies, and we will nest in here when we need to think.  You're welcome to visit any time you want.  I can sit with you, or you can have the room all to yourself. Sort of.  You'll have to share with the cats.

Many people have mentioned that they have a room like this, too.  When you are ready to clean it out, give me a hollar.  It's SO much easier working with a friend!

Hugs and love and warmth to all hearts this weekend.

5 Comments:

  • At 2:52 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Since I'm time to clean out my own stuff, I'll take a pass this time. Although, the lamp lady with the hoop skirt sounds tempting.

    Beautiful photo of the blue. This time of year we are glad to see it at all. More storms headed our way on Tuesday. The next time I say I love winter, I want someone to slap me upside the head!

     
  • At 3:27 PM , Anonymous LindaG said...

    I remember a time decades ago when I had a huge stack of bodice-ripper cheesy novels that I was too embarrassed to sell to the used book folks (people would SEE what I'd been reading!) but unwilling to throw away. And WHO cheerfully carted them away to the bookstore, out of love and friendship? Why, Roxie, of course! So in memory of that sweet gesture, I'm going to take ALL the romances and dispose of them as best suits their condition. Here I am, picking them up with a handtruck. And there I go, trundling them all away, leaving only that faint old-paperback smell..... (from the books, NOT from me, mind you. I showered today!)

     
  • At 4:59 PM , Anonymous Dave Daniels said...

    Ah, yes, I think most people HAVE to have a room like that. Mine was so large that we had to add on an addition in the rear. It ain't pretty, the locks are secure and it's packed floor to ceiling. Luckily, no shag carpeting.

     
  • At 2:24 PM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    Just for you, Roxie, I'm putting in an order for blue skies all this week. I've finally got some spring bulbs starting to nose their way out of the ground. They're late, but they're on their way.

     
  • At 1:12 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Oh, thank you sweetheart! My sprites and elves and fairies will make good use of your cast offs... they love human things...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home