Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, February 02, 2010

so I have two laptops . . .

And they are both crippled. This one at least gets onto the internet, but won't pick up e-mail. The other one, just yesterday, quit connecting to the internet. DH can't fix it and we have no idea what happened. So I have to borrow his laptop to find out who to expect for the knitting party on Feb. 13.

The theme is "Pink." I have two pink tablecloths with napkins. If there are more than 10 guests, I'll set up in both the living room and the dining room. I have any number of cups and saucers with various pink flowers on them, or pink backgrounds, or pink somewhere. I have white and clear glass plates. and as for the menu, I'm getting ambitious. I think I'll do mini quichelettes, rosemary wafers (heart healthy), pain-in-the-butter cookies (butter, sugar, white flour and eggyolks. A heart attack waiting to happen), radish roses, red grapes,and DH, has volunteered to make a chocolate/expresso cake with dark, sweet, cherries. Hmmm - rosepetal black tea, coffee, and maybe sparkling pomegranette juice in wineglasses. The garden store has potted primroses that will make nice decor and maybe even door-prizes - hmmm, what else?

On the knitting front, I decided that if the hat needed a brim, then I should go with wool and felt that puppy. I had a vest that I have never worn because it just doesn't stay buttoned. And it's a merry, happy pink. There's my yarn! Rather than make a gauge swatch, I started the hat from the top and increased 7 stitches every other round till it was 25 inches in circumference, then knitted straight down for 8 inches, then increased in every other stitch to make the brim flare. Now I'm knitting away on the brim. I'm going to knit a bit past the spread of the increase and let it roll back to provide a bit more structure. Then I'll drop it into the washer with a couple pairs of jeans, and pray. If it doesn't work out, I can always use another tea cozy. If it DOES make a decent hat, then it's time to add the whimsey.

And Lucia, a filbert is another name for a hazlenut. The Wilamette Valley is the world's premier producer of hazlenuts. When it's time to harvest , the farmers hire a helicopter to fly low over the orchards and use the down draft to shake the nuts out of the trees. Then the farmer drives a big sweeper through the orchard, sweeping up nuts and leaves and whatnot, runs them over a big screen that lets the nuts drop through and everything else filter off, and then it's off to the roasters. Filberts are not especially labor-intensive crops.

8 Comments:

  • At 8:53 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    The area between Hillsboro and Newberg is dotted with hazelnut/filbert farms, one of them being my cousin's.

     
  • At 10:42 AM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    Wow, I didn't know that was how they harvested filberts!

    Can't you go online to your server's website to check your email? I know it's kind of a pain in the butt, but it's better than nothing.

     
  • At 11:25 AM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I have friends who have a filbert (hazelnut) orchard here not far from the college. They use a different way to get the nuts off the trees. A machine has an arm
    that wraps around a tree and shakes it, rather like the exercise machine my grandma used to use around her middle!
    After harvest time they are always offering for anyone who wants to get missed nuts, and there always are a lot, to come and pick them up off the ground.

     
  • At 1:37 PM , Anonymous Benita said...

    Okay, that is the coolest way of harvesting something that I have ever heard. I want to watch sometime - from a distance so I don't get hammered by all the falling nuts.

     
  • At 3:30 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    When my girls were little I used to make up bedtime stories for them. Each girl had her own on-going serial. My eldest daughter's main character was a fairy who had younger twin siblings named Filbert and Hazel. Wish I could remember some of those stories... I'll have to ask them if they do.

    Pink sounds fabulous. Your husband makes chocolate-espresso cake? Be still my beating heart (and growing arse).

     
  • At 3:56 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I think those farmers are ingenious! Helicopter backwash is good for something!

     
  • At 5:10 PM , Anonymous LindaG said...

    Pink! Roxie! Knitting! Roxie! Lucky 13th! Roxie Roxie Roxie!

    Of course I'm coming!

     
  • At 9:02 PM , Anonymous Barb said...

    I have squirrels harvest my filbert trees. The ungrateful little beggars don't share.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home