Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, January 29, 2010

car show ho hum


I took the camera to the car show, but there was really nothing worth photographing. OK, Maybe I should have photographed my favorite car - a 1947 Packard. It was like a velvet-lined tank. You could have put on your makeup using the fenders as a mirror - it had such a lovingly polished gloss! I could easily imagine myself behind the wheel. It was a CAR!

The economic woes really showed. "Concept" cars were all focused on getting more miles to the gallon. Electric cars and hybrids were everywhere, but most of them don't do any better than a well-tuned gas engine. The SUVs were more modest, the mini-vans more energy efficient. For the most part, pearl finishes and subdued hues were the thing. Brown, toast and taupe are the fresh new colors this year.

I did enjoy watching the crowds, though. Ruffles are THE fashion trend in Portland. Ruffles on the coats, the blouses, the handbags, the shoes. Any woman with any pretense to style was wearing ruffles somewhere. Except for the ones who went for plaid. Skin-tight stretch plaid pants with big plaid rear pockets, a waist-length black leather jacket, and over the knee black spike-heeled boots. She wore sunglasses indoors, and had tiger-striped hair. There was a sort of bubble of silence around her as people turned to stare.

A stylish young woman in snug jeans with a violet lumberjack plaid jacket and matching sneakers. HOW did she get the exact same plaid in her sneakers? It was SO impressive!

And the sweet young thing in the black and white plaid micro skirt who spent the whole show with both hands gripping the bottom of the rear hem. I heard her insisting on taking the escalator because "I never do stairs when I'm wearing a skirt." I remember occasions when I dressed more daringly than I could stand. Wonder if she;ll ever wear that skirt again?

5 Comments:

  • At 1:04 PM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    I don't get why people want sad, boring colors during tough times. I want bright cheery colors. I thought it was the marketing people who made these decisions, but Bob says it's all based on sales, so it's the people's choice, not the manufacturer's. Weird.

    I think you should try the Yard Garden and Patio show next month. I guarantee it will be more fun to look at.

     
  • At 1:44 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    Ahh, yet... short skirts. I well remember the miniskirt! Most of my skirts were handmade and would have matching pantie that went over my regular panties, so if I had an "exposure" I was safe! LOL
    My big thing that I loved was palazzo pants, and I had several pair of crepe material that made me feel exotic!

     
  • At 11:21 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Wow... my mind boggles... it's been so long since I wore anything uncomfortable enough to be stylish!

     
  • At 7:04 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I remember skirts so short I couldn't sit down modestly......

    I understand plaid is back again. So now I can feel like a lumberjack.

     
  • At 9:41 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    Mallard Fillmore's comic states that it is official: new cars are uglier than they've been since the 70s!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home