Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, July 31, 2006

typing with cat on lap

The computer was so slow yesterday that I coundn't get online. I gave it a time-out, turning it off overnight, and it's much more well-behaved this morning.

When I went out for the paper this morning at 5, I saw stars to wish on for the first time since May. The world is turning toward winter, and the hottest part of summer is still to come.

Instead of the Street of Dreams this weekend, we worked on the uber-treehouse. Last year, a friend's son came to him and said, "Dad, let's build a tree house." I think the son may have imagined a sheet of plywood nailed into a crotch about six feet up. However, Dad is an engineer, and none of their trees have appropriately splayed limbes (Big old firs for the most part) so the uber-treehouse was conceived. Now Dad the engineer is great on research and planning, and my DH has practical construction experience. They sort of took the bit in their teeth and ran with this tree-house idea. This is a treehouse with a bay window and a front porch. It is in its second summer of construction and Saturday and Sunday were perfect days for roofing. Next weekend may be a siding appplication weekend, and then they will install the swinging doors (plural) onto the front porch, andput the cedar flooring down. Honestly, it's a thing of beauty. If they could install a composting toilet, they could probably rent the place out as a small studio apartment.

I say "we" worked on the tree house. Actually, DH and treehouse dad worked on the structure. On Saturday, treehouse mom and I gathered 10 pounds of windfall apples and made applesauce and applebutter. The apple butter got just a bit scortched which adds a wonderful slightly smokey surprise to the flavor. On Sunday, treehouse mom and I made a shopping run while the boys manhandled asphalt roofing shingles up two ladders and played with DH's NEW pneumatic staple gun.

And I got further along on the grey orphan sweater, and over 3/4 done on the surprise sweater. What a peculiar shaped piec of stuff it is! Keeping fingers crossed.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:52 AM , Blogger Pat K said...

    That sounds like you all had a tremendous amount of fun. Now, how many nights are the grownups going to spend in the treehouse when it's finished??

     
  • At 10:39 AM , Blogger Lucia said...

    Hey, I'd rent it! Save me some apple butter.

     
  • At 2:11 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    I'm always jealous of people who can build treehouses--so much optimism! But no canning for me...heat, work, sweat--I'm totally against it. Thanks for the good wishes, btw--it was an awesome vacation!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home