Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Quirks are us

I recently finished writing a story about grace, redemption, Lucifer and salamanders (The fiery ones) in Renaissance Italy.  Leonardo DaVinci builds them a steam-powered motorcycle.

I am currently working on a story about mutant ducks from outer space.  I don't know who wins, yet.

Publishers want something new and fresh but just like something that is a proven success.  They are, after all, in the business of making money.  And the publishing industry is struggling.  People don't read anymore, and they definitely don't read entire books.  Unless they are worthy factual tomes or full color art books which don't actually get read so much as gazed at.

People read Facebook posts and tweets and maybe, occasionally, a whole blog post (thank you!) but, for the most part, our attention span has been curtailed to, "Bites." National Geographic has turned into USA Today on a global scale. (I'm going to let my subscription expire) And how many magazines carry stories anymore?  It used to be that almost every magazine featured regular columnists who wrote graceful essays.  And there was usually a short story or two included to showcase new authors.  Most of our great authors got their start this way

Independent publishing is an option, but without an editor's guiding hand, writers are not learning how to polish their prose. Successful authors are sticking with the formulas that sell, and no one is cultivating the upcoming stars.    I had a dream of being on every airport bookstand in the country.  I have not won that lottery.

So why do I write?  Because I need to.  Because it is good for me.  Because I am vastly entertained by the things I come up with.  My subconscious is much smarter than my conscious mind, and when I let it out to play, it's wonderfully, whimsically creative.  (Ok, sometimes it makes little animals out of my own poop, metaphorically speaking, but not much anymore. And the more I write, the less likely that is to happen.)

I write so I know what I'm thinking.  I write because It allows me to get emotions down on paper so I can own them.  Clearly, I am not writing for the mass market.  I will never make a living on my wordsmithing.

And yet - - and yet - - I have spent the money to keep all four of my novels current with the publisher.  Hope is a thing that lingers when logic gives up and goes somewhere else.

Sanna, Sorceress Apprentice
Sanna and the Dragons
Sanna Meets Dauntless Swiftsure
Sanna and the Empress

 by Roxanna Matthews

Available  on Amazon or from Inkwater Press in paperback or Kindle.

4 Comments:

  • At 3:36 PM , Blogger Delighted Hands said...

    I will be buying your new books; I loved the Sanna series. I still read a lot, though now from ebooks instead of paperbacks.
    I have to work with fiber/fabric so I know what you mean. Do it for yourself and we get to come along for the ride!

     
  • At 8:20 PM , Blogger Becka said...

    I read a ton of books (although I am all ebooks too). We readers are still here! I loved your Sanna series very much.

     
  • At 6:54 AM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    Well said Roxie.
    I paint because I can’t not paint. The world I see is so beautiful, I want others to stop and take a look.
    When you write, I see your world, good job.

     
  • At 3:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Don't despair, there are still readers out in the world...at my house, count three, me, younger son, and daughter-in-law.

    I do read blogs, too - and a number of the blog writers that I read regularly are participating in a book bingo, one book per (themed) square.

    So I think we readers are still around - maybe harder to spot - but still reading!

    --Jean Marie

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home