Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

today in history

On the first of July in 1994, Kyle and I moved into our house.  On the 23rd, we got married in the backyard. The hottest day of the year.  So, to celebrate our 20th anniversary, we are hosting a barbecue in our backyard on Saturday.

We have been whacking weeds for days to get things in shape.  The blackberries and the morning glories are still carrying on their turf war in the north corner (Near the neighbor's dog pen.  The smell of dog poop renders us willing to cede the territory.)  Kyle sprayed with toxic chemicals and the morning glories took heavy casualties, but they are so well entrenched and so effective with their grass-roots campaign that the victory is only temporary.  However, their defoliation made the blackberry canes more accessible to long-handled pruning shears, and for the fist time in a year, we can see the back fence!

We topped our garden beds with 2 yards of broken hazelnut shells for mulch.  (We are in the  top hazelnut producing part of the world after all.)  It is lighter in weight than bark chips and is delightfully crunchy underfoot.  Cats won't poop in it, and slugs don't have the guts to walk across it.  Some people don't care for it color, but I like it a lot!!

We bought a bunch of annuals to fill in a little color, and I spent a couple hours yesterday potting up petunias.  Then I gave everything a nice big drink.  Last night, it rained for the first time in weeks.  Guess I should go try it in S. California.  They are crying for rain!

Still, Saturday is predicted to be hot and sunny, so I am planning on putting the food out with bowls of ice underneath them.  I was arranging bowls on the dining room table, and the cat traps worked again!

Months ago, we bought some Cougar Gold, which is reputed to be some of the best cheddar available.  We will be serving it Saturday.  It's going on a covered cake platter.  And I am planning lids or bug screens for everything else as well.  Deviled eggs, hot dogs, pasta salad, raw veggies, fruit, carrot cake, cookies, chips and guacamole, pickles, olives, whatever else leaps to  mind.  Sangria using that bottle of plum wine and the bottle of pomegranate wine, and maybe some two-buck-Chuck red, cranberry juice, sparkling water, oranges and lemons.  And whatever else it needs to taste good.  (Bourbon?) (I put cherry rum in the last batch of Sangria I made)  Our shopping list keeps growing.  And Friday, I am going to be boiling and baking and brewing all day long.  Saturday, buy a few more bags of ice and arrange everything nicely.

I got out the wedding photos and was kind of taken aback. Many family and friends have died over the past 20 years.  Yes, I'm at that age now.  But how did James Garner get to be 82 years old all of a sudden?  Not that he was at our wedding, but you know what I mean, don't you?  The way time runs over you like a rat in golf shoes?

Meanwhile, the sewing goes on.  Another quilt that was too fun to make.  I know all the stripes should run the same way, but I cut a few squares the wrong way and was so amused by the option that I ran with the randomness of it all..  And then there were little bits that got pieced together . . .













 I pieced the back too.  And for a batt, I used an electric blanket that I got at a garage sale for free because it didn't work anymore.  I pulled out the wire, ran it through the wash, and voila, a fluffy acrylic blanket with no wires.  it will keep those orphans toasty warm.

I have a friend (Hi Leslie!) who married a nice man in Malawi.  Turns out that they are running an orphanage, and could use some bright quilts.  I'd be happy to ship a batch, but I'm told that things shipped to Africa often go astray.  Anyone got any suggestions or advice?

7 Comments:

  • At 4:55 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Happy anniversary!

     
  • At 6:34 AM , Blogger Delighted Hands said...

    Happy anniversary! The quilt is nice and quirky-I like the odd block or two thrown in! Wish I knew a way to safely ship it for you but I don't have any experience with that!

     
  • At 12:07 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Happy Anniversary!! It sounds like a blast of a party. We watched Space Cowboys last night and were admiring how well Mr Gardner looked right up to the end. He aged well.

     
  • At 7:28 PM , Blogger Acorn to Oak said...

    Happy Anniversary! I hope your party is great! :-D

    Sounds like you've been very busy! Nice quilts!

     
  • At 8:34 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I will be there Saturday. Maybe it would have been cheaper and easier to get food made up at a catering place or the big party platters from various stores. You are going to be exhausted!
    LOL Cat in a bowel...hope that will not be served!!

     
  • At 9:25 AM , Anonymous benita said...

    Happy anniversary!!!

     
  • At 10:49 AM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I meant cat in a bowl...if it were in a bowel it would have been served up!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home