Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

It was winter when we left.  They had to de-ice the plane.  We came back to early spring.  This is a hazelnut (filbert) tree in full bloom.  Those khaki catkins are a sure sign that winter is on the way out.  And they give the bees something to get started on.
Camelia Japonica has been blooming since December, silly stuff, but the regular camellias are making their debut now. So delicate and lovely.  And a single rainstorm leaves them looking like wads of wet kleenex.  Years ago I took myself to the art-movie theatre to see "Camille"  A couple of older ladies sat in front of me.  They had a brand-new box of kleenex and a grocery bag, and they wept vigorously and noisily all through the sad parts.  At the end, with one last honk, one turned to the other and said, "I just love that movie, don't you?"  The other mopped her eyes, nodding and smiling.  Then they carried their grocery bag of used kleenex out with them.  Now, whenever I see camellias, I think of catharsis and emotionally purged middle-aged ladies.

Violets are blooming in sheltered areas.  Hope the geese don't find these.  Speaking of the geese, the adults have paired off. and started prospecting nesting sites.  The juveniles are giving each other speculative looks, but still flocking together. I am looking forward to fluffy balls of down in the next month or so.  Love to watch goslings.

Birds are gathering in big, singles-mingle flocks.  I passed a tree with a murmuration of starlings on my walk yesterday.  I love the old terms of venery, don't you?  A murder of crows, a knot of toads, an exultation of larks!
And these brave little snowdrops are growing in our very yard.    February is almost gone.  My birthday is just around the corner.  Let us celebrate it as the Feast of French Toast.  Fried bread is gift from God!

4 Comments:

  • At 9:35 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    Yes, the signs are there--spring is sneaking up on us. Soon we will all be outside inhaling fresh, naturally-scented air!

     
  • At 5:04 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    The snow is almost completely gone. Trees are starting to swell, but no flowers yet. Figure that will start around the first of next month.

     
  • At 5:40 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    Lucky you! We are supposed to get snow, sleet and freezing rain within the next 24 hours. Another reason to move to your area of the country - early springs!!

    So, when is your birthday?? I wanna send you something.

     
  • At 9:41 AM , Blogger Acorn to Oak said...

    It looks like Spring is right around the corner! I love your violets! The colors are so pretty. I wish I could find them in a nursery. There are some at my daughter's place but they are white with tiny bits of purple. I used to have purple ones at our last house. I should have brought some with me.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home