Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, October 27, 2012

You mean it's NOT all about me?


Two friends and my hairdresser cancelled plans with me this week. I could have gotten into a slough of despond thinking how you can't rely on people and everyone lets me down, and how come the whole world doesn't treat me like a royal princess as I deserve.  Fact of the matter though, one friend is a real-estate agent and she has to show when the customer calls.  The other two cancellations were due to illness.  No one snubbed me and I can have a hissy fit if I want but really, I'm not the center of the universe.  That is SO hard to remember!



My time was not wasted, though.  I re-worked the Mickey hat. This one will fit.  The ears are big pompoms (thank you, whoever left the skein of black acrylic yarn. It makes great pompoms.)  I'm rather pleased with the way this turned out, working without a pattern as I was.  (And yes, I DO love it when DH  says, "Roxie could make that for you.")

The next knitting project was a sample swatch for Teresa Ruch who dyes beautiful yarn and has a shipment of bamboo yarn to  show her customers.  As I was binding off, DH asked to handle it.  It has a lovely texture and he was squeezing it with pleasure, asking about the properties of bamboo.  IT's not elastic, but it's much cooler than wool.  Would you like a bamboo sweater, Darling Husband?  He's thinking about colors.  Squeee!  I adore being able to make things for him, and wool sweaters are just TOO hot!



Adventures in grocery shopping.  We bought a dragon fruit.  Anyone have any suggestions on how to eat one?   It's about half a pound of, "different."

We also bought cheeses.  Some days, things just jump into the shopping cart, you know? And today, there were lots of interesting cheeses  at good prices.  We're going to have broccoli and cheese soup for dinner tomorrow, so we had to buy some cheddar, and then we saw they had some manchego, and an interesting sheep cheese and some beautiful hard parmesan.  And a package of truffle pate demanded attention, so we had to get a baguette and some cornichons . . .







There were apples as well.

I love a picnic lunch, don't you?

Friday night, DH and I went to Mezza, a Lebanese restaurant on 55th and Woodstock.  We  had a great meal, and I posted a photo about them on Facebook.  My niece asked, "What was the special occasion?  Never mind.  You guys are special.  You don't need an occasion."  Isn't she a dear? So I answered, "It was Friday, and I'm not pregnant."  That's always a reason to celebrate!

10 Comments:

  • At 8:11 PM , Blogger Acorn to Oak said...

    The hat looks great! I love the pom pom ears. I've never had dragon fruit. Let us know how it is. It's so much fun to try new things. Your picnic looks yummy. And, I like your excuse for going out on Friday. :-)

     
  • At 9:34 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I had never seen or heard of dragon fruit, but there is a video on how to eat it on you tube.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynRkdlpjl7E

    Go see!!
    The seeds would keep me from eating it due to my IBS.

     
  • At 12:04 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    The Mickey hat is adorable and I leave the pom ears!

     
  • At 1:27 PM , Anonymous Benita said...

    "It's Friday and I'm not pregnant." I am gonna have to use that one of these days. What a perfect reason to celebrate.

    I cooked all the meals for this week today. If your house smells as good as mine does right now... :) Broc & cheese soup sounds lovely!

     
  • At 2:01 PM , Anonymous tlbw said...

    Great ears!

     
  • At 5:14 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Wanna know something scary? I knew it was a dragon fruit looking at the picture. I've never eaten one, but they sure look pretty.

     
  • At 9:51 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    LOL-- not being pregnant is a very good reason to celebrate!

    And does dragon fruit do well in captivity? That stuff looks like it's ready to fly!

     
  • At 1:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oooooh. I've been to Mezza. The smells, the visual presentation. So fun. And yes, you're so right. When several people cancel on me, I begin to smell my armpits and wonder..."Is it me?"
    And as you wisely point out...the best cure is to get busy.

     
  • At 4:54 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    In our CSA share we get a piece of local cheese each week. Last week was Vampire Slayer. You can guess why! It was delicious. I cut it up and put it in some salad and it gave it a bite (hehe)

     
  • At 8:45 PM , Blogger sophanne said...

    3 rules with friends. Emails do not need immediate response. If one says, "it's time to stop talking on the phone," we do, no grudges held, and all plans may be cancelled at a moments notice with no hurt feelings. Even if it's just because of anxiety.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home