Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, December 10, 2009

The tale of the traveling socks

Since I like to wear natural fibers when I fly, I decided to wear these lovely hand-knit socks from Donna Lee they quite enjoyed their flight in first class, even though they didn't get to see much from inside the shoes. But they cheerfully and humbly did their job of keeping my toes warm and healthy.


I was so grateful that I decided to show them a good time. Socks really don't get out much, and they were thrilled!


The first thing we did upon arrival in Waikiki was to wander down to the Lush Bath store for some bubble stuff to revel in the tub. We met Chris, who very graciously agreed to introduce the socks to a Bath Ballistic.

We took the socks along on our island tour. They had their breath taken away by the view over the Pali.



they lounged on the glorious white sand beach and reveled in the solitude.


They even shyly showed themselves at Keneke's, then cuddled back into my purse while we meat-people devoured burgers, andwiches, and a plate-lunch with pork laulau (pork wrapped in a ti leaf and steamed till it's falling apart. You can cook all sorts of things laulau fashion.)


The next day we went to the Iolani Palace, and since I knew there wouldn't be any interior photography, I left the socks back at the condo. The morning after, when DH and I got up to go out and about, one of the socks was sulky and pouting because we didn't take it around to get it's picture taken. It hid and wouldn't come out to go around with us. But the other sock cheerfully stood forth, ready for the adventures to come. This sock had a lovely day!



It got to meet the giant koi at the International Marketplace. Some of the fish were longer than it was. DH was a bit worried about leaving it so close to the water, because the fish looked hungry, but the sock was unafraid.


Then it played with the dolphins at the Wyland sculpture gallery. It got to shake the dolphin by the fin.


When we stopped for lunch at Cheesburger Hawai, it took a chair and settled in for the fun.



But our waitress, Jee, coaxed the sock up to play with her. The sock was charmed and smitten, as who wouldn't be?

When we got back to the condo, the sock found the other sock and told it all about what it had missed by staying home and sulking. The pouty sock learned a good lesson and was always smiling and ready any time we set out after that.


We took the socks to Duke's for breakfast, and they got to meet one of the crumb-patrol pigeons. An Asian family was watching me set up and take the photos.
they were quite puzzled, but since they didn't speak much English, and I don't speak Japanese, and the concept of traveling socks is rather out there, we never truely were able to explain. But I did notice one of the older lads taking a picture of his shoe.



The socks had been so good and such a delight to travel with that we decided to give them a special treat. We took them with us to Waikiki beach, with their own beach towel and sock-sized umbrellas and let them lounge around with their toes in the sand.


DH and socks on the beach. Occasionally passer-byes did a double-take, but no one ever questioned their right to soak up some rays and enjoy themselves. The socks had a grand time in Hawaii and were sad to go. But it is 20 degrees this morning, and I need warm sockies. They will get a bath and when they are dry, they can go into the sock drawer and tell all the other socks allll about it.

8 Comments:

  • At 5:00 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    LOL Rather like the traveling gnomes, or in my sisters case, traveling stuffed duck.
    It looks as if they had a grand ol' time.

     
  • At 7:23 PM , Blogger Kate said...

    What a grand story! My friends and I have a turtle that travels with us named Easter. Easter actually has his own blog, but it's fallen by the wayside because we're all so busy that we never get to travel anywhere with him any more!

     
  • At 8:39 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Or traveling Eleanor Elizabeth Bunny...

    Those lucky socks! Where else are they going (besides the drawer)?

     
  • At 3:32 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    It's amazing how different twins can be. One fun loving, the other broody. I'd watch the broody one, some day it might try to run away to Vegas.

     
  • At 10:17 PM , Blogger The Fibers of Life said...

    twoud be safe to say that you knocked their socks off....my goodness what a marvelous opportunity for them. Make sure they get the sand from between their toes :-)

     
  • At 7:23 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    So, those socks have seen more of the world than I have!

     
  • At 7:33 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Awww... a fabulous trip like that couldn't happen to a nicer pair of socks. Or their mom:-)

     
  • At 3:25 PM , Blogger Alwen said...

    Awww, that was cute!

    I wanna be a sock when I grow up.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home