Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, September 01, 2006

Friday skip

DH always take the Friday before Labor Day off and we go to the State Fair.

My inner three-year-old gets to gurgle over the sheepies and bunnies and piggies. My inner twelve year old gets treated to kettle-corn. My inner artist gets to admire the quilts and knitting and weaving and spinning. My wife side enjoys DH's delights as we wander the huckster's stalls, looking over wonder-mops and miracle-pliers and the Komplete Kar wash Kit (which won't do us any good, since we don't have a Kar. A car, yes, but the kit is only good for Kars.) and of course we always have to stop at the Jerky Hut. Then, we indulge in the bivalve lottery. We buy an oyster which is guaranteed to have a pearl. but is it a big, gleaming creamy pearl or maybe a glorious colored pearl or is it just some little ordinary white pearl? Then pearls ar always worth more than you pay for the oyster. They make up their money on the settings. I have a drill and a jig, pierce my own and string them myself. I have quite an eccentric necklace by now. My pride and joy and one piece of really good jewelry. And every pearl has a story! I do LOVE the State Fair!!

3 Comments:

  • At 12:50 PM , Blogger Lucia said...

    You are a pearl beyond price, my dear.

     
  • At 9:27 PM , Blogger Pat K said...

    I always enjoyed the State Fair (Michigan) when I was growing up. Unfortunately, it's not what it used to be. There used to be miles of needlework and quilts and pillowcases and baking; now it's like no one does it anymore and there is hardly anything to look at. Pity. Maybe one day everyone will start crafting and baking again and there will be real competition and real pride in making for oneself better things than one could ever buy at Wallyworld.

     
  • At 2:17 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    What a lovely approach to the fair! My approach is slightly different--it's more of a 'drag myself and the kids there because my daughter has a dance recital in the sun three days after school starts EVERY FRICKIN' year' sort of approach...it sort of sucks the fun out of it for us--but reading your last few posts has made me want to go on a weekend w/some liesure some time...

    Hey--uhm...I've figured some strategies for upping my (sad and pathetic) book sales on Amazon.com--if you check out the site, you'll see that a number of (WONDERFUL) folks have reviewed the books--I don't know all those people. The site itself has some tools for bringing your book to the attention of complete strangers...let me know if you're interested.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home