Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Running the trap line

The cats are useless. They are afraid of mice. I bought traps, baited them with peanut butter and caught 11 in six days so far. As I was re-baiting one trap, I saw motion out of the corner of my eye and turned my head to see a mouse dive into the sink. When it realized I had spotted it, it dived down the garbage disposal.

No, I didn't. I put a plastic bag over my hand, reached into the disposal, carefully pulled the tiny terrified thing out, carried it to the far end of the yard, and released it into the neighbor's bushes. It probably made it back to my house within the hour.

I am soft. I can bear to set traps and allow them to be killed, but I do not have the cohones to actively take their teensy verminous lives. So twice a day I run my trap lines, then wash my hands till they are dried OUT!

So when is it time to call in the professionals?

The garbage can was leaning against the inside of the cupboarrd door slightly. when I opened the door, the can came down on a mouse tail, trapping the little guy. I picked him up and he screamed. How can you kill something that screams in fear? Yes, it fouls my house and spreads contagion and can't eat a bite without pooping. And I can't bring myself to personally extinguish that tiny spark of life. It's not like I'm gonna eat it. It isn't going to attack me. It just wants to be a mouse in my kitchen. Out to the bushes for you, too! This weekend, we are doing a big sanitizing of surfaces and plugging of all possible holes. Maybe that will do the trick. Wish us luck. A POX on this plague of mice!!

2 Comments:

  • At 1:29 PM , Blogger Lucia said...

    Perhaps you can enlist the services of a guy in colorful clothing? Since you don't have kids and all.

     
  • At 3:41 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    I don't know what to tell you...go get a big, feral cat named Boris to come show your sissy domesticated cats how to mouse? (Actually, it is a learned and not an instinctive behavior...like knitting...if you don't learn at mother's or auntie's or Liesure Arts' book's knee, then you just don't learn) I know my feral feline crapweasels hate us so badly they are actually killing rats and dumping them on THE NEIGHBOR'S lawns...which doesn't make us real popular among our human brethren either... Happy Hunting.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home