Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, December 08, 2008

This is my 700th post!

After accomplishing so much yesterday, today was very much a kick-back and take it easy day. Here's Harry enjoying himself. He found a stash of one dollar books at the Salvation Army store next to the fabric store that sucked me in between the farmer's market and lunch. Sitting on the lanai, reading a book is not a bad way to spend a day.

DH and I made a run to the nearest tiny town to pick up some milk and some teabags. The store we found was about20 square feet, with only one or two of any item on the shelves, multiple cases of beer stacked in the aisles, and cases of diapers on the back wall. I found two boxes of tea - Japanese green, not black, with dust on them. They were next to the single box of cornstarch, and the three cans of tomato soup. There was lots of beer and disposable dispers, though.

But down the road a way was the Punalu'u bakery. The fragrance of fresh-baked breads and pasteries was indecent. You know those cartoons where the dog smells the heavenly dinner and the aroma wafts him through the air by the nose? I was like that. Oh my sweet aunt Fanny that was divine! We loaded up, and I wolfed stiff down. Lilikoi are like toddler-fist-sized balls of perfectly fried dough with a passionfruit/guava glaze. They are also known as malasadas. I would call them dough gods! The coconut turnovers are to die for, and the Portugese sweet bread will put a good three pounds on my hips if I don't go swim all day today.

As we were headed back, we saw, off in the distance, where lava was pouring into the ocean and clouds of steam were rising in a white column to the clouds. It's right in the middle of the screen. Perhaps, if you enlarge, you can see it, too.

As I said, some knitting has been going on. I finished a scarf for Christmas. Dave Daniels hand-dyed this silk and merino sock yarn, and I did the ever so easy zig-zag pattern. On the flight over from the mainland, the flight attendant noticed my knitting and, as often happens with knitters, became best friends forever in about ten minutes.

Scarves like to enjoy life in the islands, too.

And here is our unit mascot - a tiny baby gecko about 2 inches long. We are discussing possible names for him. Any suggestions? I'll send a can of macadamia nuts for the best contribution.

9 Comments:

  • At 12:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Okay,here's a crossword puzzle clue for you, puzzle theme "La La Land". (No, it's not about Los Angeles.)
    What do you call folks who live in close proximity to Hawaiian geese?





    Neneneighbors.
    Keep having a wonderful time, K. and R., BiL and SiL!
    I'll contemplate a gecko name. I remember lots of cute little lizards from Nevis - also a toad in the foot bath by the cottage door!

     
  • At 2:43 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Well, how about Chuck? Because in Indonesian the word for gecko is (spelled phonetically) chee-chuck.

     
  • At 3:30 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    I was gonna say Ed-- Ed Gecko... but you can always call him 'Merino', because to us knitters, that's a lovely word too!

    Keep on having fun, darlin'-- I love to hear about every moment of it! (Lava steam--SO. COOL.)

     
  • At 3:48 PM , Blogger the boogeyman's wife said...

    congrats on post 700! your hawaii adventures are so fun to read. what airline do you fly? i have yet to meet one of the fabled stewardesses who can knit. love the lava shot!

    (ps. you should name the gecko bob)

     
  • At 7:12 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    700 posts - awesome! Love the photos and vicarious vacation - keep em coming.

     
  • At 7:57 PM , Blogger Pat K said...

    700! Wow! Where has the time gone?

     
  • At 10:32 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    And (because I'm a fuzz brain!) Congratulations on the 700th post-- that's fantastic!

     
  • At 5:03 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Gordon. Gordon Gecko. The lava flowing into the ocean is amazing. It's the kind of thing we see in our science books as a kid and never think we'll see in real life. And you're killing me with the pastries. I'm a total sucker when it comes to baked goods.

     
  • At 8:34 PM , Blogger Bobbie Wallace said...

    Oh, he should be named "Geico", of course!

    Very cool pics, Roxie! Every bone in my body is jealous!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home