Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, October 07, 2011

Day 3 - last at sea

Yesterday the swells stayed high and a lot of people stayed in their rooms, so the formal dinner was not as colorful as others we have attended.  Of course, this is also Holland America where most of the passengers are retired and formal nights don't bring out the brides-maids dresses.  We have also cruised on Carnival.  Carnival to Holland America is like Las Vegas to Monaco.  Lots more color, glitz and flash on Carnival.  Much younger crowd.  Not nearly as much money and experience.  On Holland America, you see real diamonds. On Carnival, big cubic Zirconiums.  Carnival has firm, fit, youth and beauty.  Holland America has wit and wisdom.  Carnival, they eat and drink and party all night long, then sleep till the crack of noon.  Holland America, it's early to bed and early to rise, reliably healthy, wealthy and wise.  So no extraordinary attire to report, though I did see a number of diamonds big enough to choke a pony, and a string of Tahitian pearls that I would give my eye teeth for.  Lots of good black silk dresses and nice cashmere wraps.  One artistic old gal had what looked like a Tibetan gong slung around her neck and bouncing against her belly as she walked.  Between the gong and the coral and turquoise beads, the thing must have weighed about seven pounds!  Then she had her hair pulled up in a bun with whisps falling loose and half a dozen picks with fetishes dangling stabbed through at various angles.  That,with the orange eye-shadow did rather make her stand out in the crowd.

Today is calm and sunny. I'm on the lifeboat deck watching the walkers circle past.  DH is feeling much better, and soon we may return to the spa.  Tomorrow, sigh, off the ship and back to reality.  But for now, a cool breeze, bright sunlight, blue sea and all the food you can eat right at hand.  Life is GOOD!

5 Comments:

  • At 5:08 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    Love how you described the differences of the 2 cruise lines! Awesome!

     
  • At 8:22 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Wow--either way, it's an eyeful of people who don't usually walk your beat!

     
  • At 8:44 PM , Anonymous journeymother@yahoo.com said...

    What fun! I can identify with every bit of it. Going to do that again someday myself, preferably in the Caribbean through the Panama Canal. Meanwhile I am seeing a lot of Kaiser Permanente with my husband.
    Enjoy!

     
  • At 9:57 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Your descriptions of the cruise are so very enticing!

     
  • At 9:52 AM , Blogger mplanck said...

    What amazing descriptions! Endlessly entertaining and informative! I feel like I've experienced a little bit of the cruise. Thanks for letting me hitch a ride. :-)Alice

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home